Enjoy this Vegan Mushroom Pasta as a creamy and comforting 25-minute dinner tonight! The noodles are tossed with sauteed mushrooms and a vegan cream sauce to fill every bite with savory and earthy flavors.
Simple, quick, and easy never tasted so good! This Vegan Mushroom Pasta recipe comes together in no time using a few veggies and mushrooms, an easy vegan cream sauce, and your favorite pasta noodles. Perfect for when you need vegan comfort food in a hurry.
This creamy vegan mushroom pasta is similar to a vegan mushroom Alfredo or stroganoff but made with really simple ingredients, like bella mushrooms, onions, garlic, dairy free milk, and a few seasonings. It’s a great meal to whip up as a quick weeknight dinner or when you need a delicious dish for meal prep.
- It’s a creamy, earthy, and comforting 25-minute meal.
- Naturally vegan and easy to make gluten free!
- The leftovers are delicious, making this a perfect option for meal prep.
- Bella mushrooms - If you’re feeling creative, you can use a mixture of different mushrooms. Try shiitake, cremini, portobello, or oyster mushrooms for layers of earthy flavors.
- Onions and garlic - For a great baseline of savory flavors. Feel free to use shallots instead of onions for a richer flavor.
- Pasta - I really like using long pasta noodles, like fettucini, linguini, or spaghetti, but you can use anything you have at home.
- All purpose flour - To help thicken the sauce. Replace this with any gluten free flour you like if you need the recipe to be gluten free.
- Milk - Pretty much any dairy free milk will do. I like oat milk but you can use soy or almond milk instead.
- Nutritional yeast - This cheesy seasoning makes the creamy pasta sauce extra savory.
- Lemon juice - White wine is a great substitute.
- Dijon mustard - Yellow mustard will also work.
Step 1: Boil the pasta. If you haven’t already, cook the pasta until it’s al dente, then drain and set aside.
Step 2: Saute the vegetables. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet and add the onion. Saute for a few minutes before adding the mushrooms. When they’re soft, add the vegan butter and garlic and cook until fragrant.
Step 3: Make the cream sauce. Whisk the flour, salt, milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and dijon together in a small bowl. Pour it into the skillet with the veggies. Turn down the heat and keep stirring until the sauce thickens.
Step 4: Add the pasta and serve. Add the cooked pasta into the skillet and toss to coat. Once the noodles are fully coated in sauce, serve the pasta in bowls and top with black pepper and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Tips and FAQs
- Make your mushroom pasta extra creamy by replacing the dairy free milk with cashew cream or full fat coconut milk.
- Add more to the pasta, like broccoli, spinach, lentil meatballs, or eggplant.
- Feel free to roast the mushrooms for even deeper flavors.
- Top each bowl of pasta with parsley, fresh basil, vegan parmesan cheese, or toasted pine nuts.
Can this be made gluten free?
Easily! Use any gluten free pasta noodle you like and replace the all purpose flour with another gluten free flour.
How long does it last?
For ultimate freshness, store the sauce-covered pasta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can add a little extra milk to help get the creamy consistency back when you reheat the leftovers.
What goes well with creamy mushroom pasta?
This comforting meal calls for equally as delicious sides. You can never go wrong with garlic bread or a slice of savory zucchini bread on the side! If you’re serving the pasta for dinner, make the meal complete with a serving of broccoli cauliflower salad, sauteed asparagus, or fried brussels sprouts.
More easy vegan dinner recipes
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Vegan Mushroom Pasta
- 8 oz. pasta cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon vegan butter divided
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 8 oz. bella mushrooms sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 cup soy milk or milk of choice
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- black pepper to taste
- fresh parsley for garnish chopped
- If you haven't already, cook the pasta until it's al dente (or done to your liking); drain and set aside.
- Heat oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large, deep skillet over medium heat, then add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Then, add the mushrooms and sauté for 4 minutes or until the onions and mushrooms are soft, adding more butter as needed. Last, add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute until it's fragrant.
- In a small bowl, whisk the salt, flour, milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and dijon together. Then, pour the mixture into the skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, stirring frequently until the sauce thickens.
- Add pasta into the skillet and use kitchen tongs to toss everything together, making sure the pasta is coated in the sauce.
- Divide into bowls, top with black pepper and parsley and enjoy!