This Vegan Cauliflower Gratin is made with broccoli and cauliflower and topped with chipotle garlic vegan cashew cheese and breadcrumbs.
OH YEAH first recipe of the year and it’s a healthy one!!! SHOCK. I feel as though it would be frowned upon if I posted cake today, so I figured this cauliflower gratin would go over a little bit better.
I’ve been wanting to make this recipe for awhile actually, but I wasn’t planning on making it vegan. HOWEVER, when you really think about it, if you’re going to go through all that effort to eat veggies, you probably maybe shouldn’t completely cover them in cheese. I mean, right?? Like, you want to, but you know you shouldn’t. Soooo vegan cheese it is! If you don’t already know, vegan cheese is made with cashews and nutritional yeast, and in this case, garlic and chipotle powder too. ….aka just a liiiiiittle bit healthier than regular cheese.
Can you believe it’s 2018? I know everyone’s saying this, but time seriously flies by. I feel like I was just making my 2017 New Year’s resolutions. Like what?! Speaking of, are you a New Year’s resolutions type of person? I feel like I make a few loose goals, but nothing too concrete, which could be seen as a good or bad thing I suppose. One thing’s for sure: I’m going to continue to make plenty of healthy recipes for you guys.
….like this vegan cauliflower gratin! Smooth transition. It’s made with broccoli and cauliflower and then covered with garlic vegan cheese and a dash of chipotle powder (my fave). I sprinkled it with breadcrumbs and baked it in the oven for about 30 minutes and that’s it! It’s a tasty side dish to any meal and a pretty easy and healthy way to switch up your veggie routine.
Vegan Cauliflower GratinPrint Rate
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour or arrowroot starch for gluten free
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs or more
- For the cheese:
- 1 1/2 cup soaked cashews
- 1/2 cup water or more
- 1 garlic clove
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder or chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Chop broccoli and cauliflower into bite size pieces and place into a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat, and then add the onion, stirring for 2-3 minutes until translucent, then add the garlic and stir for an additional minute.
- Next, stir in the flour until everything is combined, then slowly whisk in the milk. Stir occasionally until mixture starts to thicken, then pour mixture over top of broccoli and cauliflower; stir to combine.
- For the cheese: add all ingredients to a blender and pulse until "cheese" is smooth. If it doesn't seem to want to mix, add more water 1 tbsp at a time. You want the cheese to be smooth but not too runny. Pour cheese over top of broccoli and cauliflower and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into an oven-proof dish or a 9x13 casserole dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
- Serve as a dish dish and enjoy!