This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
Mushroom soup lovers, rejoice! This easy Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup is essentially your favorite creamy mushroom soup recipe, minus the dairy. Made with coconut milk, vegetable broth and of course plenty of mushrooms, this soup is creamy, delicious and plant-based all at the same time!
As we're nearing the end of soup season, I just knew I had to share this vegan cream of mushroom soup recipe with you!
It'll remind you of the canned soup from your childhood, minus the milk, butter and cream. Instead, it's made with vegetable broth and coconut milk to create a creamy consistency that's truly irresistible. It's kind of like my Whole30 mushroom soup but without the bacon.
- Made with bella mushrooms, along with flavor enhancements like shallot, garlic and coconut aminos
- It's SO creamy thanks to the coconut milk
- A delicious dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, paleo, and Whole30 way to enjoy your favorite mushroom soup recipe
- Mushrooms - I adore using baby bella mushrooms for mushroom soup, but you can always use your favorite kind or a mixture of various kinds of mushrooms.
- Shallot - Feel free to substitute yellow onion if you prefer.
- Garlic - Fresh is best (I don't recommend using garlic powder).
- Broth - Vegetable broth only! No substitutions.
- Coconut milk - Canned and preferably full fat, which provides a thicker (think: creamier) consistency.
- Arrowroot - I love using arrowroot as a thickener, but cornstarch or all purpose flour works as well.
- Coconut aminos - Or, substitute soy sauce if you prefer. We want a little umami, and both coconut aminos and soy sauce will provide that.
Step 1: Cook the mushrooms. Start by sautéing the mushrooms, along with the shallot and olive oil, over medium heat in a large skillet, large pot dutch oven until the mushrooms are soft, about 8-10 minutes. Then, add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
Step 2: Add the broth. While the mushrooms are cooking, whisk the vegetable broth, coconut milk and arrowroot (or cornstarch) together in a bowl. Next, pour the liquids into the skillet and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 1-2 minutes until the soup is at your desired consistency.
Step 3: Finishing touches. Remove the skillet from the heat, then stir in the coconut aminos, salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!
Tips and tricks
- If the soup is too thick, add more broth.
- Want to add even more flavor? Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of fresh thyme in at the end.
- To make this soup a little more rich, try sautéing the mushrooms with vegan butter instead of olive oil.
What kind of mushrooms are best for mushroom soup?
I like using baby bella because they're more flavorful than white mushrooms, and they cook down quite nicely. Besides bella, you could try using mixed mushrooms or cremini mushrooms.
What should I serve alongside this soup?
Crusty bread! If you're looking for something more substantial, I recommend my apple, kale and brussels sprouts salad or my vegan mushroom pasta (because there's no such thing as too many mushrooms!).
You could also prep it and use it in my vegan green bean casserole!
Refrigerator: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat soup in a saucepan on the stove until warm.
Freezer: To freeze, wait for the soup to cool, then transfer it to a freezer-safe bag and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More delicious soup recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 24 oz. baby bella mushrooms or a combination of your favorite variety
- 1 shallot diced (approx. ¼ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 14 oz. coconut milk canned, full fat
- ¼ cup arrowroot or sub cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, then add the mushrooms and shallot. Sauté until the mushrooms are soft, 8-10 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, whisk the vegetable broth, coconut milk and arrowroot together in a bowl; set aside.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the garlic and salt and sauté for 1 minute. Then, pour the vegetable broth mixture into the pot and bring the soup to a low boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer the soup for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently until it's at your desired consistency (it'll thicken quite quickly, so if it seems TOO thick, simply pour in more broth).
- Remove soup from the heat, then stir in the coconut aminos and pepper. Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!