Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
These easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Scones are light, satisfying, and delicious for breakfast or dessert. Whip up a batch to serve with afternoon tea or a hot mug of coffee for a comforting treat both kids and adults will enjoy.
I love snacking on these vegan chocolate chip scones when I’m craving something soft and sweet. Delicious for both breakfast and dessert, they’re easy to make and can even be frozen for later.
These simple baked goods are made without any dairy or animal products and are extra light and crumbly thanks to cold vegan butter. Vegan chocolate chips are the best addition, giving each one a boost of sweetness. Enjoy one for breakfast with Tofu Scramble or as a simple pairing to a glass of Homemade Cold Brew Coffee or Iced Bulletproof Coffee.
- Enjoy them for a sweet breakfast or a buttery snack.
- Light, airy, and crumbly in the best way.
- 100% vegan and easy to make gluten free!
All-purpose flour: You can also use unbleached wheat flour or spelt flour if desired. A 1:1 gluten-free flour blend that contains xanthan gum should work as well, but I haven’t tested it.
Cane sugar: For a refined sugar-free scone, use coconut sugar.
Vegan unsalted butter: Carefully mixing in cold butter will form an extra flaky scone.
Almond milk: Or use any dairy free milk you love.
Flax egg: A mix of flaxseed and water transforms into a binding egg replacer.
Chocolate chips: Make sure to use a vegan brand! My favorites are Enjoy Life chips or Nestle allergen-free chocolate chips.
Step 1: Make the flax egg. Combine the flaxseed meal and water together and set aside.
Step 2: Combine the dry ingredients with the butter. Stir the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut the cold butter into small chunks, add to the dry ingredients, and use your hands to incorporate everything together. The finished result should resemble the texture of damp sand.
Step 3: Mix in the wet ingredients. Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl before pouring them into the dry ingredients. Use a spatula to gently combine the dough. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 4: Form the scones. Form the dough into a large ball on a nonstick surface. Flatten it out until it resembles a thick disk shape. Using a sharp knife, cut the disk into 8 pieces and transfer each one to a prepared baking sheet.
Step 5: Bake the scones. Bake the scones until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let them sit for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Tips and tricks
-You can use coconut oil instead of butter if you prefer. The texture will be a bit denser, but still delicious!
-Using a pastry cutter or 2 forks to blend the butter into the flour is an option, but it’s much easier to use your hands.
-You can use salted vegan butter instead of unsalted. Make sure to only add ½ teaspoon of salt in the recipe so it can remain balanced.
-Add more to the scones, like dried fruit, berries, or nuts.
-And, if you're looking for even more tips, be sure to check out this scones troubleshooting guide from The Spruce Eats.
Can you freeze vegan scones?
Yes, you can! Save yourself some time and prepare the scones ahead, then place the 8 dough pieces on a baking sheet to freeze. Transfer them to a freezer-safe bag when they’re frozen solid. When it’s time to bake, give the frozen scones a few extra minutes in the oven.
Cooked and cooled scones can be frozen for up to 5 months. To freeze, wrap each scone in plastic wrap and add them to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. Let them thaw on the countertop for a couple of hours before serving.
How long do these last?
Vegan scones stay fresh for up to 3 days at room temperature. To keep them longer, store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
More vegan breakfast treats
- Vegan No-Bake Breakfast Cookies
- The Best Vegan Banana Bread
- Cinnamon Raisin Granola
- Toasted Coconut Chia Pudding
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Scones
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp vegan butter unsalted, cold
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 2.5 tbsp water)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°. Make the flax egg by combining 1 tbsp flaxseed meal and 2 1/2 tbsp water together, then let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together. Then, use a knife to cut the butter into that same bowl (or use a cheese grater) and use your hands to mix the butter into the dry ingredients until it's incorporated (this will take about 3 minutes).
- In a separate bowl, stir the milk, flax egg and vanilla together; then, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to stir until combined. Last, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Flour a work surface or silpat mat, then use your hands to form the dough into a ball. Press down, and form the ball into a round disc about 1" thick with a 7-8" circumference. Use s sharp knife to cut the disc into 8 scones, then transfer them to a lined or greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the scones with a little extra cane sugar (optional), then bake them for 23-28 minutes, until slightly golden around the edges.
- Wait a few minutes, then transfer the scones to a cooling rack. Enjoy!