Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
These Apple Cranberry Scones are vegan-friendly, filled with chopped apples and topped with a sweet cranberry glaze.
Hellooooo holiday breakfast of champions! These apple cranberry scones stole my heart and I’m hoping they steal yours too. Many of you said you wanted to see me make an apple cranberry pie; however, I didn’t want to post another pie recipe (I’ve posted two this season which apparently is my limit), so I made you scones! And I know scones are a breakfast food—like I said, breakfast of champions—but they’re also kind of like a dessert. Can we agree? Like a snack-dessert.
So basically what I’m saying is that it’s acceptable to eat them for any and every meal.
If I’m being honest, cranberries aren’t usually on my radar, though I’m not sure why because they’re so good! I guess I just forget about them because my brain is always in gingerbread and peppermint mode. But they pair perfectly with apple and add a nice flavor to these cranberry scones.
Have you made scones before? They’re surprisingly simple, so let’s walk through the how-to.
You’ll start by making the flax egg: simply combine flaxseed meal and water together and then wait a few minutes for the flaxseed to absorb the water and create an egg-like substitute. While that’s happening, you’ll combine the dry ingredients together, then cut in the cold butter and use a pastry blender or your hands to combine them together. Now, you’ll add in the melted butter, flax egg, milk, and vanilla before lastly stirring in the chopped apple.
One you’ve got your mixture, you just have to lay it out onto a floured surface and form it into a 1” circle. Cut your dough into scones, place them on a baking sheet and bake away!
While the scones are baking, you’ll make the cranberry icing, then drizzle the scones with the icing once they’ve cooled a bit. These cranberry scones were surprisingly tasty, and I say “surprisingly” because I don’t always think of using cranberries, but I’m so glad you all suggested it.
Apple Cranberry Scones
for the scones:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp dairy free butter cold
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp flaxseed meal+ 2 1/2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp dairy free butter melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 apple chopped
for the cranberry syrup:
- 1/2 cup cranberries fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp sugar
for the glaze:
- 2 tbsp cranberry syrup
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Start by making your flax egg: combine flaxseed meal and water together in a small dish, stir, then wait a few minutes for the "egg" to form.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; then, cut in the cold butter and use a pastry blender or your hands to mix them together (this should take 1-2 mins).
- Next, add flax egg, melted butter, milk, and vanilla to that bowl and stir to combine. Last, stir in the chopped apples. The dough should be sticky!
- Flour a flat surface then place dough on that surface and use your hands to form it into a 1" thick circle. Use a floured knife to cut dough into 8 scones, then place them on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Brush scones with a little melted butter then bake scones for 20-25 minutes.
- While scones are baking, make the cranberry glaze: combine cranberries, water and sugar in a saucepan over high heat. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes, using a wooden spoon to help break down the cranberries.
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer and discard the smashed cranberries. Pour 2 tbsp cranberry syrup into a bowl, then add the powdered sugar and whisk to combine (either by hand or with an electric mixer).
- Once scones are done and have cooled for a few minutes, drizzle the glaze over top.