Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
These Dirty Chai Blondies are vegan-friendly and flavored with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg and topped with a simple espresso glaze.
….Because who doesn’t love chai spice and blondies and espresso? Exactly. Dirty chai blondies might be my dream brownie now that chocolate is out of the question. I mean sure, plain blondies are great, but blondies with cinnamon, sugar and a little bit of espresso? YES PLEASE.
To be honest, I didn’t know a dirty chai was a “thing” for the longest time. I’d had plenty of chai lattes, but didn’t know you could add espresso to them. Silly, silly, silly. I believe it wasn’t until my brother told me—he used to work at Starbucks—and my mind was blown. I don’t order dirty chai lattes often enough and I’m thinking that needs to change. …or maybe I’ll just keep creating recipes with cinnamon+espresso.
These chai blondies are vegan-friendly, meaning the recipe calls for a flax egg instead of a real egg and dairy free butter instead of regular butter. They’re easy substitutions that will make it so that ANYONE can enjoy these bars. I actually made these when my dad came to visit about a month ago to help Miguel and I paint our living room, and he couldn’t get enough (always a good sign).
You’ll make these blondies by creaming the butter and sugar together, then adding in the wet ingredients and last adding in the dry ingredients. The blondies themselves are flavored with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg and require 25-30 minutes to bake in the oven. Then comes possibly the best part: the espresso glaze. Once the blondies have cooled a bit, you’ll drizzle them with espresso glaze, aka espresso powder, powdered sugar and a little milk.
Tip: if you can’t find espresso powder, use instant coffee! You may have to play around with the amount you use, but it works just the same.
I hope you give these dirty chai blondies a try—you won’t be disappointed! Oh, and if you love these blondies, you must give these chai spice thumbprint cookies a try!
Dirty Chai Blondies
for the blondies:
- 1 cup dairy free butter melted
- 1 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 2 flax eggs*
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
for the glaze:
- 1 tbsp espresso powder**
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp dairy free milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8x8 baking dish or line it with parchment paper then set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together; then, add the flax eggs and vanilla and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, stir flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg together.
- Then, combine wet and dry ingredients until smooth. Pour batter into prepared baking dish then bake blondies for 25-30 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean. Wait until brownies have cooled a bit before cutting.
- While blondies are baking, make the glaze: stir espresso powder, salt and powdered sugar together, then add milk and whisk everything together.
- Drizzle glaze over blondies before serving.