Learn how to make peanut milk with these step-by-step instructions. It’s simple and a tasty dairy free milk option!
*This post originally appeared in 2016 but has since been updated with new photos. It’s still the same great recipe, though!
Yes, PEANUT MILK. Like—gahhhhh I just can’t. If I’m being honest (which I’m trying to always be honest with you), I don’t typically make my own milk. Why? Because buying milk is way easier and less time consuming. With that said, homemade nut milk is THE BEST. Yes, the best. It’s fresh and, like pretty much everything else, way better (and better for you) because it’s homemade.
I thought—hey, homemade almond milk and cashew milk are very common, but what about peanut milk? I LOVE peanuts, and peanut milk is in fact just as delicious as it sounds. It tastes like peanut butter in a glass.
PEANUT MILK INGREDIENTS
- vanilla extract
If you’ve made your own milk before, you’ll basically be doing the exact same thing but with peanuts instead of almonds/cashews/etc. But, let’s walk through how to make this milk.
HOW TO MAKE PEANUT MILK
Step 1: place peanuts in a bowl or jar and cover them with water. Soak peanuts for at least six hours.
Step 2: pour peanuts into a strainer and rinse them off. Then, place peanuts, water, dates, and vanilla into a blender and blend for 1 minute.
Step 3: place cheese cloth or a nut bag over a bowl, then slowly pour milk over top and squeeze the cheese cloth so that the milk comes out. This will drain out any of the pulp and assure that the milk is nice and smooth.
Step 4: store milk in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, and enjoy it as-is, with cereal or even in your coffee!
NOTE: I received a few comments from readers suggesting that you can make peanut milk by combining peanut butter and water together in a blender. I tried this method and yes, it does work. It’s a lot faster than the method that I’m using in this recipe. However, I found the peanut flavor to be stronger when using actual peanuts. So, it’s your call! If you want to try the peanut butter method, go for
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE, YOU’LL LOVE… chocolate peanut milk!
RECIPES TO GO ALONG WITH PEANUT MILK
- seedy chocolate chip cookies
- two ingredient homemade nutella
- chocolate peanut butter chickpea cookies
How To Make Peanut Milk
Learn how to make peanut milk with these step-by-step instructions. It’s a tasty and dairy free milk alternative!
- Prep Time: 6 hours
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 6 hours 5 mins
- Category: drinks
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: milk
- 1 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts*
- 2 1/2–3 cups filtered water
- 2 pitted dates (optional)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- To start, pour 1 cup peanuts into a container and then top them with 4 cups of filtered water. Store the container in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Once the peanuts have soaked, pour them out into a strainer and rinse them with cold water.
- Next, scoop out 1 cup of the peanuts and pour them into the blender. Add 2 1/2-3 cups filtered water (however much fits into your blender), the dates and the vanilla, and blend peanuts for 1 minute.
- Place a double layer of cheesecloth or a nut milk bag over a large container or bowl and carefully pour milk overtop, making sure the milk doesn’t seep over the edges. Gently squeeze the bottom of the cloth so that the milk strains out and the only thing left is the peanut milk.
- Pour the milk into a glass jar and store it in the refrigerator.
*You can also use raw peanuts if you prefer
Keywords: milk, homemade milk, peanut milk