These peanut butter chickpea cookies are protein-packed and loaded with plenty of peanut butter and minimal sugar. The best part is that they’re gluten free, vegan and only 6 ingredients!
You read that right folks: chickpea cookies. One of my favorite things in LIFE is sneaking vegetables or legumes into dessert recipes, like in this chocolate zucchini cake or these chickpea pancakes. More times than not, you can’t tell the difference and you’re squeezing in some extra nutrients–talk about a win-win! The thing about this chickpea cookie recipe is that you’re probably not going to convince anyone that these are traditional chocolate chip cookies. I mean of course you’re not, because they’re not. However, they’re still really freaking good and if there is such thing is a guilt-free cookie recipe, this is it.
CHICKPEA CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
This recipe is a fan favorite because it requires simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand. A few other reasons these cookies are so popular is because 1) they’re flourless 2) they’re made with actual chickpeas 3) they’re loaded with peanut butter and 4) they require minimal sugar. No seriously, you have to try them! Here’s what you need in order to make these cookies:
- peanut butter
- maple syrup
- vanilla extract
- baking soda
- chocolate chips
HOW TO MAKE CHICKPEA COOKIES
Did I mention these cookies can and should be made in your food processor? You know what that means, right? These cookies require just ONE DISH–woohoo!
Drain and rinse your chickpeas: This step is important, so don’t skip it. Simply pour the chickpeas into a strainer then rinse them with water for 15 seconds or so. Then immediately pour them into your food processor and pulse for 10 seconds or so.
Add the remaining ingredients: Minus the chocolate chips, add the other ingredients to your food processor and pulse until a large ball of dough is formed.
Add the chocolate chips: Remove the blade from your food processor, then stir in the chocolate chips. Note: the dough is going to be a bit sticky and wet, and that’s ok! Using an ice cream scooper, scoop the dough out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake the cookies for 17-20 minutes.
These cookies are perfectly chewy and packed with protein thanks to the “secret” chickpea ingredient! But don’t worry, they still taste oh-so-delicious, just the way a cookie should.
MORE HEALTHY COOKIE RECIPES:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Chickpea Cookies
These chickpea cookies are loaded with peanut butter and protein and make for a truly guilt-free cookie recipe.Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 10 -12 cookies
- 1 can chickpeas 15 oz., drained and rinsed
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Pour chickpeas into a strainer, then rinse them for 15 seconds or so. Place chickpeas into a food processor and pulse for approximately 10 seconds.
- Add peanut butter, syrup, vanilla, and baking soda; pulse together. The mixture or "dough" should form a large ball in the food processor.
- Remove blade from your food processor, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Use a spoon or ice cream scooper to scoop dough out onto your baking sheet. Bake cookies for 17-20 minutes. The cookies will be slightly underdone, and that's ok! You want them that way so that they're soft and chewy.