This Frozen Cottage Cheese Pie is made with whipped cream, cottage cheese and peanut butter and is the perfect dessert on a hot summer day!
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Hood Cottage Cheese. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank YOU for supporting brands that keep this site up and running!
Today, we are making PIE. But not just any pie: cottage cheese pie!! …with pretzels and peanut butter and chocolate! Are you intrigued now?
Growing up, my mom used to make a very similar pie recipe with cream cheese and peanut butter and chocolate chips, so I decided to put my own spin on it and use Hood Cottage Cheese because—guess what—new product alert in Pittsburgh! Yes, really. Let’s back it up for one second though. How do we feel about cottage cheese? Hood Cottage Cheese comes in 10 (!!!) different flavors and it’s perfect morning, noon or night.
And now for this cottage cheese pie recipe…
Like I said, it’s a spin on one of my mom’s recipes, but a little healthier thanks to the cottage cheese but also kind of unhealthy thanks to the butter in the crust. Sorry I’m not sorry!
COTTAGE CHEESE BENEFITS
Cottage cheese has many health benefits, but the two most prominent benefits are that it’s high in protein and calcium. Calcium is necessary for strong bones and teeth, and eating cottage cheese is an easy way to get in a dose of calcium. Alongside that, if you need a quick and filling breakfast or snack, opt for some cottage cheese. The downside is that it tends to be high in sodium, so just like everything else, moderation is key.
COTTAGE CHEESE PIE INGREDIENTS:
- heavy whipping cream
- cottage cheese
- peanut butter
- chopped peanuts and chocolate
HOW TO MAKE COTTAGE CHEESE PIE
Step 1: Not surprisingly, this pie starts with the crust, and in this case the crust is made out of pretzels and butter. I tried using coconut oil the first time around and didn’t love it as much, so I decided that when in doubt, use butter. You’re more than welcome to use coconut oil instead if you prefer, though. The pretzels can easily be broken down in a food processor, then the butter and sugar will be added until everything is combined. The crust will get pressed down into the bottom of a pie pan, then the pan goes straight into the freezer.
Step 2: Next comes the filling. Using a stand or hand mixer, whip the cream until stiff peaks form, then add in the cottage cheese, sugar and peanut butter. Next, use your finger to taste test. Ok, this isn’t an official step, but you kind of have to taste the filling ahead of time, right?
Step 3: Remove the pie crust from the freezer, then scoop the cottage cheese filling into the center, using the back of a spoon or a spatula to smooth it out. Place the pie back into the freezer for at least 4 hours, or until the filling has set. You’ll want to remove the pie 10-15 minutes before serving; that way, it’s easier to cut.
Note: you can 100% add chocolate inside the actual pie; since I’m trying to avoid chocolate, I opted to just put it on top. Totally your call! Either way, it is delightful and sweet and perfect for hot days when you need a dessert but don’t want to turn your oven on.
This cottage cheese pie is salty, sweet and perfect for summertime!
OTHER PIE RECIPES ON THE ALMOND EATER:Print
Frozen Peanut Butter Cottage Cheese Pie
A frozen cottage cheese pie that’s made with a pretzel crust and a creamy peanut butter filling made with whipped cream and cottage cheese. It’s the perfect summertime dessert!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hrs 15 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: pie
for the crust:
- 2 cups crushed pretzels* (approx. 4 cups whole pretzels)
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 10 tbsp butter, melted
for the pie:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 1/2 cup Hood cottage cheese
- 3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- Optional: 2 tbsp chocolate, chopped
- Crush pretzels in a blender or food processor, then add sugar and butter and mix to combine.
- Grease a pie pan with coconut oil or nonstick spray, then use your hands or a spatula to press crust into the pie pan, then place the pan in the freezer.
- Next, whip the whipping cream until stiff peaks form, approx. 4 minutes; then, add sugar, cottage cheese and peanut butter and stir to combine. Last, stir in the peanuts by hand.
- Scoop whipped cream out and into the crust, smoothing it out with a spoon or spatula. Top the filling with extra pretzels, peanuts and chocolate, then place the pie into the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- Remove pie 10 minutes before serving so it can thaw a bit. Then, cut and serve.
*to keep this gluten free, use gluten free pretzels
Keywords: frozen pie, peanut butter pie, pretzel crust