Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Cheesy Savory Oatmeal is made with cheddar cheese and topped with brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, a fried egg, and Cholula® Original Hot Sauce for extra flavor. It’s a great option for when you’re craving something savory in the morning and want to switch it up.
Oh hey look, an oatmeal recipe! Guys, I’ve finally found the oatmeal of my dreams! Or should I say of ALL our dreams?! SAVORY OATMEAL. If you are someone who craves savory in the morning, this savory oatmeal breakfast bowl is for you.
I’ll admit, I’m a creature of habit. I sort of think we all are…? I tend to eat eggs and toast for breakfast most mornings, while my mom tends to eat yogurt and/or oatmeal for breakfast. We stick to our routine because it’s comfortable and easy, but occasionally it gets a little….stale. Boring. Bland. And quite frankly, I don’t always get excited for breakfast. Know what I mean?
Now, I’m not saying we all need to go wild and outside our comfort zones every day, but maybe once or twice a week, it’d be good to switch it up and make breakfast exciting again, and this breakfast bowl IS exciting I tell ya!
WHY THIS SAVORY OATMEAL IS SO GOOD
- It’s a great change of pace from your regular oatmeal routine
- It’s topped with veggies like brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes, so you’re basically tricking yourself into eating vegetables
- The fried egg seals the deal and really takes the oatmeal to next level
- It’s ready in about 15 minutes, super filling and you may even have leftovers for the next day
SAVORY OATMEAL INGREDIENTS
- Oats: I used a mixture of steel cut and old fashioned (rolled) oats, because texture is everything! The steel cut oats don’t cook quite as quickly, but the result will be a lot better (in my opinion) because the oats won’t be so… mushy.
- Cheese: Cheese is key! In the recipe I note it as “optional”, but it definitely takes these oats to the next level
- Brussels sprouts: Cooking brussels sprouts directly in a skillet is one of my favorite ways to prepare them because it’s QUICK and efficient. Plus, they’re a great way to add some greens to this breakfast bowl.
- Sweet potato: Again, just adding more nutrients to this bowl with the sweet potato, and again I like cooking them in a skillet because it’s efficient and they get nice and crispy on the outside
- Egg: One perfectly fried egg is all you need!
- Hot sauce: Like the cheese, this is optional BUT surprisingly delicious. Don’t knock it ’til you try it!
TIPS FOR MAKING SAVORY OATMEAL
- Stir occasionally: The oats should take anywhere from 10-20 minutes to cook, but you’re going to want to stir occasionally so that they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan
- Cook the vegetables in one skillet: I’m ALL about one skillet meals, and while this recipe isn’t a one skillet recipe, you can reduce the amount of dishes by cooking the brussels sprouts, sweet potato and egg in the same skillet (I used my cast iron).
- Use hot sauce: Ok so technically you don’t have to use hot sauce–you can use whatever condiment you want–but Cholula Hot Sauce really does add the best flavor to this dish.
So there ya have it: savory oatmeal! Who knew? I feel like you don’t see it nearly often enough, but it is so, so good and dare I say completely underrated?! It is. This cheesy savory oatmeal will have your tastebuds thanking you for days, friends. DAYS.
MORE SAVORY BREAKFAST RECIPES
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Cholula. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that help make this site possible — it means the world to me!
Cheesy Savory Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp shallots minced
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats not quick cooking
- 5 cups water or more depending on your preference
- Optional: 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup brussels sprouts sliced
- 1 small-medium sweet potato diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 eggs depending on your preference
- 1-2 tbsp Cholula Hot Sauce or more to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat then add the shallots and stir for 1-2 minutes. Next, add the oats and water, stir, and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and simmer oats for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until oats are cooked.
- While oats are cooking, heat oil in a separate skillet, then add the brussels sprouts and sweet potato, sprinkle them with salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until they're cooked. Note: you may need to add more oil so that they cook faster.
- Once the sprouts and potatoes are cooked, turn the heat down to low and use a spatula to create a hole in the center of the skillet; then, crack an egg in the center. If you're cooking two eggs, create two holes. Fry the egg(s) until it's cooked all the way through.
- Once the oats are cooked, stir in the cheese until it's melted.
- To assemble: pour oats into a bowl then top them with the brussels sprouts, potatoes, egg, and last but certainly not least, the Cholula!