This Apple, Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad will get you in the holiday spirit. Topped with apple and pomegranate seeds and a shallot-based dressing, it’s both sweet and full of flavor.
Ahhhh, brussels sprouts SALAD, aka just what the doctor ordered!
Good news! I’m feeling SO much better and my cold is basically gone—thank you all for your kind words on the blog and Instagram. You guys are the best.
More good news! It’s Thanksgiving week! I know you already knew that, and even if you somehow forgot, it’s impossible not to be reminded on social media and basically ever blog around. Hey, we’re just doing our jobs making recipes to help you prepare for the big day. So what are your Thanksgiving plans anyway? Going to your moms house? Grandma’s? Will your cousins be there? Will you eat traditional Thanksgiving food, or do you have someone unique and special planned?
My mom is hosting Thanksgiving for the first time EVER (big deal), so that’s where we’re headed. I believe the menu is going to look a little bit like this: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, sweet potato casserole, cranberries, pumpkin pie, my vegan pear pie, dinner rolls, and hey who knows maybe even this salad! Probably not because we already have plenty of food, but if I’m feeling wild I might add it to the mix.
This was 100 percent a result of needing to use up some food. Ya see, I went grocery shopping right before getting sick last week, and I didn’t want my brussels sprouts or pomegranates to go bad. So alas, this salad was born. The kale and sprouts are topped with apple, pomegranate seeds, walnuts, dates, and avocado (avocado is good all year round, right?!), and a simple dressing made from shallots, olive oil, lemon juice, and tarragon. Sweetness packed with tons of flavor thanks to the shallots.
I also juuuust realized that I didn’t add goat cheese. Goat cheese would be amazing in this salad, so if you have it on hand, ADD IT and then tell me how amazing it is.
Happy almost Thanksgiving, friends!
- 2 cups kale stems removed
- 2 cups brussels sprouts thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup walnuts crushed
- 7-8 medjool dates pitted
- 1 apple sliced
- 1 avocado
- For the dressing:
- 1 shallot minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Plenty of salt and pepper
- Heat all of the dressing ingredients in a skillet over medium heat; bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- While dressing is heating up, combine all of the salad ingredients together in a bowl.
- Once the shallots have simmered, strain shallots overtop of salad bowl so that the olive oil mixture goes onto the salad and the shallots stay in the strainer.
- Mix the dressing in well with the salad and then do a taste test; if you like it the way it is, great! If you think it needs more flavor, add HALF of the cooked shallots to the salad.