Simple Roasted Acorn Squash with butter and sage and topped with honey ginger pork made in the slow cooker. It’s a new spin on acorn squash that’s packed with tons of flavor!
I guess we could call this week SQUASH WEEK. Except not because this is only my second recipe, but two squash recipes in one week? Yeah it’s squash week.
Today we’re talking about another new-to-me squash: acorn squash! I was determined to get my shit together this year and try ALL THE SQUASH, and that’s exactly what I did. Unlike butternut squash, it doesn’t turn crispy like potatoes when you roast it (who knew!), but rather, it gets really soft. Also, acorn squash is way prettier than butternut squash <—fact. And while you can eat acorn squash as-is, it’s way better when you throw some pork on top.
So I kind of cheated with this recipe (is “cheated” the right word..?) and used the exact same pork recipe for my Honey Ginger Pork Tacos. Why? Because I love it and I hadn’t made it in awhile and I figured honey+ginger would be delicious on top of acorn squash. Guess what? IT IS! Unlike butternut squash, you can’t buy pre-sliced acorn squash (or maybe you can and I just don’t know about it), but the good news is that acorn squash is suuuuper simple to slice and de-seed. There aren’t that many seeds and even my dull knives could slice through it without any problems (….wish I could say the same for spaghetti squash).
SO. You’ll essentially want to start by placing the pork in your slow cooker with the appropriate seasonings. Once the pork has been cooking for 2.5 hours, you can begin roasting the squash. Ideally, the squash and pork will be done at the same time, so then the squash can be removed from the oven and topped with the cooked pork. VIOLA, easy peasy and maybe, just maybe, the most delicious way to enjoy roasted acorn squash.
I ended up adding some shaved gruyere cheese on top because gruyere makes me feel fancy and cheese completes almost every meal.
If you make this recipe, remember to tag #thealmondeater on Instagram!
Roasted Acorn Squash with Honey Ginger Pork
- For the pork:
- 1 lb. pork I used pork chops
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1/2 cup honey
- Salt to taste
- For the squash:
- 1 acorn squash seeds removed
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 2 tbsp fresh sage
- Salt to taste
- Place all pork ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until pork is cooked through.
- Once pork has been cooking for 3 hours, begin cooking the squash.
- Preheat oven to 400°, slice the squash, remove all of the seeds and then continue slicing the squash into pieces.
- Place squash in a large bowl and pour melted butter and sage overtop; stir to combine.
- Put squash on a baking sheet (you may need 2 baking sheets), making sure none of the squash is touching.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, flipping the squash after about 12 minutes. You'll know the squash is cooked once it's soft when you bite into it.
- Once cooked, put the squash on a plate, pour pork overtop and grate some cheese over the entire dish (this is optional, but gruyere or parmesan is recommended!).