This Chocolate Caramel Lava Cake is rich yet light, and filled with the most delicious homemade caramel sauce. Take it up a notch by pairing it with your favorite ice cream and this will quickly become your favorite dessert!
- A light, single serve chocolate cake
- Rich chocolate-y cake filled with healthier caramel sauce
Caramel sauce - this is a key ingredient and the thing that makes this cake so good
Chocolate chips - semi-sweet or dark
Flour - the recipe calls for whole wheat, but white whole wheat will work too
Step 1: Melt chocolate. Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted.
Step 2: Whisk ingredients. Whisk the egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and melted chocolate together in a bowl. Then, stir in the flour and sugar. Add HALF the batter to a greased 6" ramekin.
Step 3: Add caramel. Use a 1 teaspoon measuring spoon to add caramel to the center of the batter, then pour the remaining batter on top. Place the ramekin on a baking sheet, then bake the cake for 15-16 minutes.
- If you don't have time to make homemade caramel sauce, you can use store bought
- Add a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top
- The cake tastes even better when paired with your favorite ice cream
More dessert recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Chocolate Caramel Lava Cake
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- 2 tablespoon whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a microwave-safe dish, melt chocolate chips and oil/butter together. I typically put the microwave on for 2:00 and then stop every 30 seconds to stir.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and melted chocolate togther; stir in sugar and flour.
- Grease a 6" ramekin with coconut oil, then add half of the batter to it and place 1 teaspoon of caramel sauce in the center, and then top it off with the rest of the batter.
- Put the ramekin on a baking sheet and into the oven and bake for 16 minutes* or until edges are hardened and center is a bit soft.
- Remove from oven and let them sit for at least 1 minute.
- To remove: run a knife along the edges of the cake to loosen it. Pick up the ramekin in your one hand and put a plate against the chocolate cake side of the ramekin. Carefully turn the ramekin over onto the plate; the chocolate cake should come right out.
- Serve with ice cream, drizzle extra caramel sauce overtop and enjoy!
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in May 2016. It was updated with new text and photos in October 2020.
Claudia | The Brick Kitchen says
Ahhh this looks incredible! Lava cakes are my weakness but I have to say I've never actually attempted one...oops - I guess always worried that it wouldn't be runny in the middle! Next time I have spare salted caramel (which is actually surprisingly frequently!) I am definitely giving this a go 🙂
Yes try it! From the many times I made these, I've found that, if anything, the caramel is TOO runny (rather than the other way around). Just wait until your caramel is at room temp and it should work out!
Keith @ How's it Lookin? says
Looks so good. The caramel sauce sounds amazing, thanks a lot
love a lava cake! especially one with salted caramel. and healthy too? yum!
Yes, all of those things! Thanks Thalia 🙂
Um, yes please! This will definitely be a WHEN I make this, not an if, but when it happens, this will be happening with both peanut butter AND caramel 🙂 Pinning!
Ohhhh now THAT sounds good.
Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday says
Lava cakes should definitely always be served with ice cream. And I need to try your salted caramel sauce! I love everything salted caramel!
If you love caramel then you'll love it!
Christina @ The Blissful Balance says
Okay this looks like it would be addicting. Like maybe you slipped some crack in there, but not because your baking is that good that it's just naturally addicting. Ok I'm weird but this is gorgeous I want someee please send it ova.
You kill me. There's definitely caramel inside and maybe crack too....you'll never know.
Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie says
Okay drooling right now!! This looks absolutely amazing and I love that you added your salted caramel inside -- even better! 🙂
Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food says
First of all, chocolate lava cake is my favorite. I don't eat dessert all that often, so when I do it's gotta be something gooood.
Second, I laughed at your question "what do you buy that you could make yourself?" Um....everything lol. This is why I'm not a food blogger.
hahah trueeeee and yes lava cakes are one of my favorite desserts.
Alexa [fooduzzi.com] says
Sign me up! Loving everything about this! I'm guessing that a dollop of peanut butter would be epic here, too 😉
I'm guessing you're correct!
Marina @ A Dancer's Live-It says
Yummy! My birthday is in two days and I just wanna eat this for breakfast. I probably will. 😉 I also always would buy the Wegmans Ultimate Chocolate Cake for my birthday even though I could've totally made it myself haha
Happy almost birthday! I've never had that cake, but I imagine it's delicious.