This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
This Chocolate Caramel Lava Cake is rich yet light, and filled with the most delicious homemade caramel sauce. Take it up a notch by pairing it with your favorite ice cream and this will quickly become your favorite dessert!
- A light, single serve chocolate cake
- Rich chocolate-y cake filled with healthier caramel sauce
Caramel sauce - this is a key ingredient and the thing that makes this cake so good
Chocolate chips - semi-sweet or dark
Flour - the recipe calls for whole wheat, but white whole wheat will work too
Step 1: Melt chocolate. Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted.
Step 2: Whisk ingredients. Whisk the egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and melted chocolate together in a bowl. Then, stir in the flour and sugar. Add HALF the batter to a greased 6" ramekin.
Step 3: Add caramel. Use a 1 teaspoon measuring spoon to add caramel to the center of the batter, then pour the remaining batter on top. Place the ramekin on a baking sheet, then bake the cake for 15-16 minutes.
- If you don't have time to make homemade caramel sauce, you can use store bought
- Add a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top
- The cake tastes even better when paired with your favorite ice cream
More dessert recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Chocolate Caramel Lava Cake
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a microwave-safe dish, melt chocolate chips and oil/butter together. I typically put the microwave on for 2:00 and then stop every 30 seconds to stir.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and melted chocolate togther; stir in sugar and flour.
- Grease a 6" ramekin with coconut oil, then add half of the batter to it and place 1 teaspoon of caramel sauce in the center, and then top it off with the rest of the batter.
- Put the ramekin on a baking sheet and into the oven and bake for 16 minutes* or until edges are hardened and center is a bit soft.
- Remove from oven and let them sit for at least 1 minute.
- To remove: run a knife along the edges of the cake to loosen it. Pick up the ramekin in your one hand and put a plate against the chocolate cake side of the ramekin. Carefully turn the ramekin over onto the plate; the chocolate cake should come right out.
- Serve with ice cream, drizzle extra caramel sauce overtop and enjoy!
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in May 2016. It was updated with new text and photos in October 2020.