A healthy Chocolate Cashew Smoothie that's full of protein and fiber. The base is made with cashews, along with cocoa powder, oats and maple syrup for a lightly sweetened and delicious smoothie recipe.
Why you'll love this
- Many smoothie recipes use banana as a base, but not this one! If you're looking for a banana-less smoothie, this is it.
- The cashews make this a higher-protein smoothie without any protein powder
- It's lightly sweetened with dates and maple syrup -- definitely one you'll want to make again and again
Cashews - Raw cashews, not salted and/or roasted
Dates - Deglet or Medjool, and make sure they're pitted
Oats - Rolled or old fashioned, not quick oats. If you want to keep this gluten free, be sure to use certified gluten free oats.
Chia seeds - Optional. I like adding chia seeds to smoothies for a little extra fiber, but you don't have to add them.
Tips and Tricks
- You don't have to soak the cashews ahead of time for this smoothie. You can, but it's not a must. With that said, if you do NOT soak them, just be sure to blend the smoothie on HIGH for one full minute.
Chia seeds, or can use flax seeds, hemp hearts; Maple syrup, or can use honey
Is this smoothie vegan?
Yes! If you make the smoothie as written, it is vegan-friendly.
More smoothie recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Chocolate Cashew Smoothie
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 3 pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cup milk any kind
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, at least 1 minute.
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in July 2015. It was updated with new text and photos in July 2020.