Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
These molasses chocolate chip cookies are made with whole wheat flour, coconut oil and maple syrup, making them just a little bit healthier than your traditional cookie recipe.
These molasses chocolate chip cookies are my LAST dessert recipe of 2018! That’s craziness, right? We basically only have a little over a week left, so it makes sense, but it’s wild how quickly time goes by.
How do we feel about goal-setting? Do you like to make goals for the new year? I make goals every year but tend to forget to revisit them, which makes it a little bit….pointless. So, this year I’m hoping to change that. I’ve typed out a list of a few realistic things I’d like to accomplish in 2019 and I hung it up on my cork board. We’ll see how it goes!
One thing that’s certain is that I plan on making many more healthy cookie recipes. These molasses chocolate chip cookies are made with 1) whole wheat flour 2) coconut oil and 3) maple syrup, making them a bit healthier than your traditional cookie recipe. But don’t worry, they’re still perfectly chewy and packed with flavor.
I worked hard to get the molasses ratio right in this recipe. You want to be able to taste it, yes, but you don’t want it to be overpowering. Or at least I don’t! Three tablespoons seemed to be the perfect amount.
First, you’ll combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices together in a bowl. Next, you’ll whisk the eggs, oil, syrup, and molasses together in a separate bowl.
Note: 1) make sure the coconut oil has cooled a bit; you don’t want to use hot oil in the recipe and 2) try to get the eggs as close to room temperature as possible. Otherwise, the coconut oil will solidify when combined with the eggs if the oil is hot and the eggs are cold.
You’re more than welcome to use regular chocolate chips in this recipe; however, I always enjoy using chopped chocolate, so that the chocolate gets really melty. Your call!
Last but not least, sprinkle the cookies with a little bit of sea salt for that salty-chocolate vibe. THE BEST.
Healthy Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted and at room temperature
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 1/4 cup chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt coconut oil then set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves; set aside.
- Next, whisk eggs, syrup and molasses together; then, add in the melted coconut oil.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, then stir in the chocolate by hand.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop dough out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing them 3" apart.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes. You want the edges to be set but the middle to be slightly undone.
- Allow cookies to sit on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before placing them onto a cooling rack.
- Optional: sprinkle with flaky sea salt before serving.