This One Pot Gnocchi is a bowl of comfort filled with gnocchi, sausage, kale, and cheese—it’s perfect for chilly days on the couch!
Aren’t one pot meals the best? First there’s my one pot tomato soup and now there’s this delicious one pot gnocchi filled with sausage and kale!
You know that REALLY good soup from Olive Garden? *everyone thinks of their own favorite soup* Ok, well the one I’m referring to is their zuppa toscana soup. Back in the day, Miguel and I used to have Olive Garden dates where we’d go, order the soup, salad and breadsticks, and without fail, each order 2 bowls of the zuppa toscana soup because it was just so good. One thing we always noticed though, was how salty the soups were. Obviously salt makes soup—ok, everything—taste better, but in my opinion, they got a bit overboard with the salt. Think of this one pot gnocchi as a less salty version of that soup but with gnocchi instead of potatoes.
This is basically a comfort food lover’s dream but at your house, on the couch, watching your favorite TV show, aka THE DREAM, and it’s also perfect for transitioning back to real life after Thanksgiving.
HOW TO MAKE ONE POT GNOCCHI
For this soup, you’ll start by cooking the sausage.
Note: I used sausage links, removed the casing and cooked them that way. However, after the fact I realized I probably could’ve just used ground pork and that might have been a little easier. I like the way the sausage tasted though, so I’d say either way works.
Once the sausage is cooked, you’ll set it aside and then cook the onion and garlic in that same skillet. Once the onion is soft, you’ll add in the gnocchi and chicken broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and slowly stir in the cheese, then add the salt and pepper. You’ll simmer the soup until the gnocchi is cooked, and then add in the kale and the cooked sausage and cook for 2 more minutes. Last, you’ll add in some red pepper flakes for good measure.
Note: the cheese causes the broth to become pretty thick, so feel free to add a little bit of water to the broth if you prefer. Also, if you have leftovers and need to reheat the soup, you inevitably will have to add some water.
And that’s it! It’s easy, it’s fast and it’s truly the definition of comfort food.Print
One Pot Gnocchi with Sausage and Kale
This one pot gnocchi makes for an easy clean-up and is filled with gnocchi, sausage, kale, and cheese–perfect for chilly days spent on the couch!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: lunch
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: soup
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, casing removed*
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lb. gnocchi
- 32 oz. (approx. 4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 cups kale, stems removed
- 1/2 tsp salt, or more
- Black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
- Start by cooking the sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat. One it’s cooked, set aside.
- In that same skillet, add 1-2 tbsp oil then cook the onion for a couple minutes then add in the garlic. One the garlic turns golden in color, add the gnocchi and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, then slowly stir in the cheese and salt. Continue simmering until the gnocchi is *almost* cooked, then add in the kale and cook until gnocchi is fully cooked.
- Last, add the sausage back in and add some pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
*Alternatively, you can use 1 lb. ground pork
**If you want a thinner broth, add in 1/2-1 cup of water
Keywords: gnocchi, one pot gnocchi, soup