Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This One Pot Gnocchi is a creamy bowl of comfort filled with gnocchi, sausage, kale, and cheese. It’s perfect for chilly days on the couch, or when you need an easy dinner recipe.
You know that really good soup from Olive Garden? You may be thinking of one soup, but the kind I’m referring to is the Zuppa toscana soup. This creamy gnocchi with sausage is reminiscent of that: hearty and so, so delicious.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s made in ONE POT, and it doesn’t get much simpler than that
- It’s super filling thanks to the gnocchi and the sausage
- This soup is the most comforting of all the comfort foods
Gnocchi – can usually find in either the pasta aisle, or in the refrigerated section at the grocery store
Sausage – preferably mild or spicy Italian
Kale – can sub spinach or your favorite greens
Step 1: Cook the sausage. Add sausage to a large, deep skillet or dutch oven, then use a wooden spoon to bread it up and cook it all the way through. Then, use a slotted spoon to remove the cooked sausage and set it aside.
Step 2: Simmer. In that same skillet/dutch oven, cook the onion and garlic until soft, then add the gnocchi and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, then slowly stir in the cheese until it’s melted. Simmer gnocchi until it’s almost cooked (check package instructions for specific times).
Step 3: Combine. Last, stir in the kale and let it simmer for 1-2 minutes, then remove skillet from the heat and add the sausage back in. Top everything with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes before serving.
- Using high quality or freshly grated cheese is best; that way, it melts quickly and easily
- If the mixture seems too thick for your liking, simply add 1 cup of water to the skillet and stir, which will thin it out
Can this be made vegetarian?
Yep! If you want to go that route, simply use plant-based sausage and vegetable broth instead.
How should leftovers be stored?
Leftovers should be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours. With that said, the gnocchi will most likely absorb a lot of the broth, so when reheating, add mixture to a skillet and pour additional broth in to create a more soup-like consistency.
More hearty dinner recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
One Pot Gnocchi with Sausage and Kale
- 1 lb. Italian sausage casing removed*
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 lb. gnocchi
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 3 cups kale stems removed
- 1/2 tsp salt or more
- Black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
- Start by cooking the sausage in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat. One it's cooked, use a slotted spoon to remove it and set it aside.
- In that same skillet, add 1-2 tbsp oil then cook the onion for a couple minutes then add in the garlic. One the garlic turns golden in color, add the gnocchi and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, then slowly stir in the cheese and salt. Continue simmering until the gnocchi is *almost* cooked, then add in the kale and cook until gnocchi is fully cooked.
- Last, add the sausage back in and add some black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in November 2018. It was updated with new text and photos in November 2020.