This Spaghetti Squash Pasta is a healthy and delicious low carb meal. It’s made with garlic, tomatoes, pasta sauce, and topped with a bit of burrata cheese, and is surprisingly filling!
Spaghetti squash pasta is officially cool, and I’m not mad about it. If you haven’t tried it, it’s similar to regular pasta but it’s a vegetable, making this recipe both paleo and gluten free.
It’s spaghetti squash season, and I can say that I’ve been eating my fair share of it. I like that spaghetti squash doesn’t have a ton of flavor on its own, so I’m able to add whatever flavors I please, like caramelized onions. YUM.
I debated whether or not to add cheese, but ultimately decided that cheese is always the answer. With that said, just know that the cheese is completely optional. Like I said, this spaghetti squash recipe is just like regular pasta in that it’s all the good stuff minus the carbs. I mean, I love carbs, but sometimes it’s nice to have a low carb meal.
HOW TO MAKE SPAGHETTI SQUASH PASTA
Roast in the oven: If you’ve ever made spaghetti squash, you know that it needs to roast for 40-45 minutes. To do this, slice the spaghetti squash length-ways, then brush olive oil on both sides and place it face down onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Sauté tomatoes and garlic: This part doesn’t take long, so you don’t need to actually start until the squash only has about 10 minutes left to roast. Essentially, you’ll sauté the garlic and tomatoes until the tomatoes burst, around 3-5 minutes.
Use store-bought sauce: Yes really! Spaghetti squash is a little more time consuming (though still SUPER easy), so there’s no need to over complicate things. My two favorite store-bought sauces are Lucini and Raos.
I’ve made this recipe THREE times already that’s how much I love it. It’s low carb, vegetarian and topped with cheese–what’s not to love? If you’re a fan of regular pasta, you should absolutely give this spaghetti squash pasta a shot and then tell me about it!
If you make this recipe, I’d SO appreciate if you could leave a comment and star rating — thank you!
OTHER LOW CARB RECIPESPrint
Fresh Tomato Spaghetti Squash Pasta
Spaghetti squash pasta is just like regular pasta–garlic, tomatoes, sauce, and cheese–minus the carbs!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: squash
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Pinch of oregano
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 4–5 fresh basil leaves
- Optional: 1 ball burrata cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Slice squash in half length-wise and brush both sides with 2 tbsp olive oil. Place squash cut side down on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
- After 30 minutes of the squash roasting, prepare the rest of the meal. Heat the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the tomatoes. Cook tomatoes for a few minutes, then add the garlic and stir. Continue cooking until tomatoes are blistered on both sides; use a slotted spoon to remove tomatoes and garlic.
- Pour sauce into the same skillet and heat it up until it’s at your desired temperature.
- Once squash is done cooking, use your fork to pull back a few spaghetti strands, then divide the garlic, tomatoes and tomato sauce between both sides of spaghetti squash. Sprinkle them with oregano, red pepper and basil leaves then add burrata cheese on top if desired.
Keywords: spaghetti squash, baked spaghetti squash, spaghetti squash pasta