Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Easy, kid-friendly Almond Butter Rice Crispy Bars that everyone will love! They’re made with 4 simple ingredients and just so happen to be both vegan and gluten free.
- An easy, kid-friendly snack
- Naturally vegan and gluten free
- Delicious, almond butter flavor (like my almond butter cookies and baked oatmeal cups)
Brown rice crispy cereal – should be easy to find in the cereal aisle at the grocery store (I know Whole Food sells it); can also sub puffed brown rice (see notes below)
Almond butter – creamy
Maple syrup – can sub honey
Brown rice syrup – can sub honey, but only if you’re using maple syrup. You don’t want to only use honey in this recipe.
Step 1: Stir wet ingredients. In a large bowl, stir the almond butter, maple syrup and brown rice syrup together until well combined.
Step 2: Add cereal. Pour the wet ingredients over the rice crispy cereal and stir until they’re completely coated with the almond butter mixture. Then, scoop them into a greased 8×8 baking dish, using a spatula to smooth them out.
Step 3: Refrigerate. In order to get the bars to harden, you’ll need to refrigerate them for at least 30 minutes. Then use a sharp knife to slice them into 16 bars.
Tips and tricks
Storage: Store these bars in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Cereal: I think brown rice crispy cereal (found in the cereal aisle) works better than puffed brown rice. It’s more reminiscent of traditional rice crispy bars and gives them a better texture.
Do I have to use brown rice syrup?
Technically no. The reason brown rice syrup is *key* is because it’s sticky, which helps hold these bars together and gives them a great texture. Regular rice crispy treats use marshmallows, so think of brown rice syrup as the marshmallows that really hold these bars together.
With that said, you can use honey if you prefer.
More easy dessert recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Almond Butter Rice Crispy Bars
- 3 1/4 cups brown rice crispy cereal
- 1 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine almond butter, brown rice syrup and maple syrup in a large bowl; stir well.
- Use a large spoon to mix in the brown rice cereal, stirring well until everything is combined.
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with coconut oil or parchment paper and pour mixture into dish. Use a spatula to smooth everything out and then place the dish in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- When you're ready to eat them, remove them from the refrigerator, cut and enjoy!
- Cereal: puffed brown rice
- Almond butter: peanut butter (or any nut butter, really)
- Maple syrup: honey
- Brown rice syrup: honey
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in August 2016. It was updated with new text and photos in August 2020.