Use up leftover broccoli and potatoes and whip up these Broccoli Potato Burgers. They’re packed with nutrients and a great way to get in your veggies!
HI hi hi, how is everyone doing? I meant to write this yesterday and then I got distracted with 500 other things (i.e. laundry, dishes, cleaning my apartment..), so this is a day late. The reason I mention that is because I wanted to talk about ‘Married at First Sight’! ….obviously. So I completely misunderstood, but Tuesday was not the finale. It was the wedding, though, and it was good, but now the show follows the couples for six weeks to see if/how they get along.
If you missed Monday’s post, ‘Married at First Sight’ is a show about a group of people who are matched based on research and don’t get the chance to meet until the day of their wedding. Anyway, you can assume I’ll be watching every Tuesday night—I’m officially hooked.
And, though you did vote asparagus as your favorite vegetable, broccoli came in a close second. Since I’m personally a huge broccoli fan, I wanted to create a recipe for my fellow broccoli lovers. Now as far as these burgers go, they’re also good, but in a bit of a different way. Let’s compare the two..
Reality TV is good because: it makes you laugh, it makes you cry (…..hopefully not) and it’s entertaining. Broccoli burgers, on the other hand, make your stomach happy, are pleasing to your tastebuds, are packed with flavor, oh, and they don’t fall apart when you bake them. WOO!
…don’t tell me I’m the only one who’s had that happen. That ish is not fun. These won’t do that though, so no worries.
So anyway, you can clearly see that reality TV is good and broccoli burgers are REALLY good and that is the point I’m trying to make.
I topped my burgers with sriracha/mayo, lettuce and extra peppers/onions, but feel free to use your favorite toppings! They’re also really delicious on their own… just sayin’. These burgers are great for dinner of course, but they’re also a really simple plan-ahead meal to pack in your lunch. So grab your broccoli and grab your potatoes and let’s whip up some delicious burgers!
- 1 broccoli spear
- 1 potato
- 1/4 cup peppers I used a mixture of red, green and yellow
- 2 tbsp yellow onion
- 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Remove broccoli florets from broccoli spear and place in a pot.
- Cut potato into bite-size pieces and place in pot with broccoli; fill pot with water and cook broccoli and potato together until both are soft.
- While they are cooking, chop onion.
- Remove broccoli and potatoes from stovetop and drain; place into a food processor and pulse.
- Add peppers, onion and pulse.
- Lastly, add breadcrumbs and lemon juice and pulse.
- Form mixture into balls and then flatten into burgers and place on a baking sheet; place into refrigerator for at least 30 minutes so burgers can harden.
- Once ready to cook, heat a bit of olive oil in a skillet and cook burgers on either side until golden brown.
Q: Did you happen to watch ‘Married at First Sight’? What is your current favorite reality TV show?
If you like these, you’ll love….