This Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry featured charred shrimp, broccoli, pepper and peas and is covered in the easiest and most delicious honey soy sauce.
Disclaimer: This post was created in partnership with Bernzomatic. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that help me run this site!
I don't want to sound over-the-top, but this honey garlic shrimp stir fry is BETTER THAN TAKE OUT! Yes, I'm serious. Even my husband said so, so you know it must be true.
There's just something about honey and soy sauce--they're basically the perfect match. Well, today I'm showing you how to make an easy, homemade version of your favorite stir fry. It's loaded with veggies and shrimp, and delicious on its own or over rice.
One of my favorite things about this recipe (besides the flavor), is the fact that it can be made with frozen vegetables, which is a huge win if you ask me. I know getting to the grocery store these days can be a little tricky, so if you have some frozen veggies on hand, this stir fry should be a no-brainer.
Why you'll love this honey garlic shrimp stir fry
- It's a quick meal that you can make with frozen veggies + shrimp
- According to my husband, it tastes the exact same (let's say "better than") takeout
- It's a healthy, filling meal that doesn't sacrifice flavor, and it pairs perfectly with rice
How to make honey garlic shrimp stir fry
First, make the sauce. This may seem like an odd first step, but you want the sauce ingredients--the soy sauce and honey--to sit with the cornstarch for a few minutes. That way, when it's eventually heated, it'll thicken up quickly. The goal is to have a semi-thick sauce vs. a runny sauce.
Next, cook and char the shrimp. The recipe calls for raw shrimp, so make sure to peel and devein the shrimp first, then add them to a heavy-bottomed skillet (I used my cast iron). Cook the shrimp with a bit of olive oil until they're pink, then remove the skillet from the heat and use your Bernzomatic TS8000 torch to char the shrimp.
Once the shrimp is charred, set it aside and begin cooking the veggies in a separate skillet. You want to cook them for 4-5 minutes, or until you notice the peppers start softening and turning brown on both sides. At this point, you should add the garlic and shrimp into that skillet and sauté everything for 1-2 minutes.
The last step is to pour in the sauce, reduce the heat to low and then stir so that everything is coated in the sauce.
If the sauce becomes too thick, remove the skillet from the heat and add 1 tablespoon of water. If the sauce seems too thin, turn the heat up to medium-high.
Why you need a hand torch
I know what you're thinking... do I need a torch? Yes! I mean technically you can make these without one, but I promise you they won't be as delicious. A hand torch is a one-time investment that lasts for a really long time, and it enhances the flavor of this shrimp, along with salmon and crab dip.
Can I use pre-cooked shrimp?
Yes! If you can already cooked shrimp, simply thaw the shrimp, "cook" it in a skillet for a few minutes until it's warm, then char it using your Bernzomatic torch.
What other vegetables would work in this recipe?
The recommended vegetables for this recipe are peppers, broccoli and peas, but those aren't the only vegetables that will work. You could also sub:
More quick dinner recipes
Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry
- 1 lb. raw shrimp* peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 head broccoli chopped
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- 2 cups snow peas
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- green onion for garnish
for the sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Whisk sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- Cook shrimp with oil in a cast iron skillet until pink. Remove skillet from the heat, then use your Bernzomatic TS8000 torch to char the shrimp until blackened, approximately 30 seconds; set aside.
- In a deep skillet, add the broccoli, peppers and peas, along with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and sauté over medium heat until peppers are blistered, 4-5 minutes. Then, add the garlic and shrimp and sauté for 1 additional minute.
- Reduce heat to low, then pour in the sauce and stir for 10 seconds or until sauce thickens and everything is coated in the sauce.
- Top stir fry with green onion, serve over rice and enjoy!