Delicious Blueberry Chia Pudding that tastes like summer in a jar! This healthy, no sugar added breakfast is the perfect way to start the day because it's made with minimal ingredients and loaded with fiber, protein and antioxidants. Make it the night before and breakfast will be ready for you in the morning!
Recipe originally created: March 2015 // Updated: April 2020
It's April, which means it's almost time to devour ALL the fresh fruit, specifically berries and stone fruit! Oh I can't wait.
I'm not unique in that I'm over-the-moon obsessed with blueberries, or that I adore eating them at breakfast time. But, rather than eating them on the side, this blueberry chia pudding combines a protein and fiber-packed breakfast with the deliciousness of blueberries all into one recipe.
The one thing I love about this pudding is that it's refined sugar free, meaning what little sugar there is in the recipe comes from the fruit--the blueberries and nectarine--and a little bit of maple syrup. Woohoo!
Ingredients in this recipe
Milk: Milk is absolutely necessary for this recipe. However, the kind of milk you use is up to you. I used almond milk and it worked great, but you can use whatever you have in your refrigerator. With that said, I would stay away from canned coconut milk, as it tends to have a different consistency.
Chia seeds: You can't make chia pudding without chia seeds! You can find them at most grocery stores either near the supplements or the baking aisle. Alternatively, you can purchase some online, and it doesn't matter if you use white or black chia seeds, though I tend to always opt for black because I like the way it looks (what can I say, I like eating pretty food).
Sweetener: Besides milk and chia seeds, this recipe does include a small amount of sweetener so that it doesn't taste bland. However, there's NO refined sugar in this recipe, making it a great choice for breakfast or even an afternoon snack. You'll need maple syrup and vanilla extract, and if you want, a little bit of honey to drizzle on top.
Fruit: This recipe uses minimal sugar because it's loaded with nature's sugar, aka fruit! The blueberries and nectarine add tons of antioxidants, all while adding a hint of sweetness to the pudding.
How to make blueberry chia pudding
- Stir the liquids--the milk, maple syrup, and vanilla--together in a bowl. I like to use a whisk just to make things easier.
- Add in the cinnamon and chia seeds and stir for at least 20 seconds. You want the chia seeds to be evenly distributed and you don't want them to clump together.
- Last, stir the blueberries and chopped nectarine into the bowl, then pour everything into two separate jars or bowls and place them in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Drizzle the pudding with a tiny bit of honey (and maybe add a sprinkle of cinnamon, too), and eat up!
Is there a different fruit I can use besides nectarine?
Great question! I developed this recipe during the summer when nectarines are at their peak. In general, berries and stone fruit taste best in the spring and summer, but other substitutions include:
How to store chia pudding
Chia pudding stays fresh and tastes best when it's stored in an air-tight container. If you happen to have a couple of mason jars, I like to use those because they come with a lid, and you can eat the pudding right out of the jar.
More breakfast recipes you'll want to try
- Coconut Chia Pudding
- Almond Butter Chia Pudding
- 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes
- Almond Butter Baked Oatmeal Cups
Nectarine and Blueberry Chia Pudding
- 1 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 6 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blueberries plus more for topping
- 1 nectarine chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- honey drizzle on top
- Stir milk, vanilla and syrup cinnamon together; then stir in the cinnamon and chia seeds. Last, stir in the blueberries and chopped nectarine.
- Pour pudding into two jars and place them in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Top chia pudding with a little bit of honey and enjoy!