This Charred Crab Dip is the perfect party appetizer! It's made in one bowl, easy to make and is slightly healthier thanks to the addition of Greek yogurt, but it's loaded with cheese and of course crab, making it a tasty, savory dish.
Disclaimer: This post was created in partnership with Bernzomatic. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that help me run this site!
Somehow, it's already the end of January, as in we're well into 2020. How did this happen?! I don't know about you, but I could go for something a little more... indulgent. Nothing too crazy, but let me tell you, this crab dip is something everyone can get on board with. It's cheesy, it's loaded with crab meat and it's delicious with both crackers and carrot sticks.
Basically what I'm saying is that this charred crab dip NEEDS to make an appearance at your next party or get together. Heck, it'd even be the perfect snack for a cozy night in. It's so easy to make, and tastes even better when charred. For this recipe, I used my Bernzomatic TS8000 torch, and wow did it make a difference.
If you've never used a torch before, don't be intimidated! The TS8000 covers a wider area, so it doesn't take as long to char the food overall and it's a more powerful torch than the ST2000 (which I still love, by the way).
Ok but now let's talk about what you need in order to prep this healthier crab dip:
CRAB DIP INGREDIENTS
- Cream cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Cheddar cheese
- Crab meat
I thought about making a dairy free version of this, but ultimately decided that sometimes you just need the real deal, aka cream cheese. In my opinion, there's no true substitution for the deliciousness that is cream cheese.
HOW TO MAKE CRAB DIP
Soften the cream cheese: This may sound like a no-brainer, but it's important to use softened cream cheese vs. cream cheese that's just been taken out of the refrigerator. Otherwise, it'll be difficult to mix and it may end up being kind of lumpy. The dip should be mostly smooth in texture other than the crab of course!
TIP: Set a reminder on your phone to take the cream cheese out of the refrigerator an hour or two before actually making the dip. Alternatively, you can microwave it for 10-15 seconds.
Mix it all up: I wasn't kidding when I said this recipe is easy. For this dip, you'll essentially just mix everything together with an electric mixer (stand or hand mixer), and then stir the crab meat in by hand using a spatula or large spoon.
Char the dip: Don't skip this step! Charring the dip makes a huge difference and improves the flavor immensely! Use your TS8000 to char the dip, which should only take 10-15 seconds.
OTHER EASY APPETIZER RECIPES
Charred Crab Dip
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise*
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 oz. crab meat liquid drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- green onion for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Use an electric mixer to combine cream cheese and yogurt together until smooth; then, add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the crab meat and mix.
- Next, stir in the crab by hand until it's well combined.
- Scoop dip into an oven-safe skillet (I used my cast iron), and place it in the oven. Bake dip for 15 minutes or until the edges are bubbling.
- Remove dip from the oven, then use your Bernzomatic TS8000 torch to char the top of the dip until it's golden brown, which will enhance the flavor. This should only take 10-15 seconds.
- Serve with carrots, celery or crackers and enjoy!