Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
A healthy 6-ingredient Chocolate Sweet Potato Pudding recipe made from--you guessed it--sweet potatoes! It's guilt-free, vegan-friendly and full of chocolate with a hint of cinnamon.
Here's the thing: if you can make avocado pudding, you can most certainly make sweet potato pudding. This chocolate version is my favorite because, well, CHOCOLATE.
- A silky smooth pudding recipe made with only 6 ingredients
- It's vegan + gluten free
- The whole recipe is ready in under 30 minutes!
Sweet potato - cooked and mashed (more info below)
Chocolate - preferably dark
Yogurt - can use plain Greek yogurt or plain dairy free yogurt to keep this vegan
Step 1: Mash the cooked sweet potato. You can cook the sweet potato however you want (I generally boil mine in a pot on the stove), just make sure to peel it first. Then, place it in a food processor and pulse for 10 seconds or so.
Step 2: Melt the chocolate. Add the chocolate and coconut oil to a small saucepan, then turn the heat to medium-low and whisk until the chocolate has melted.
Step 3: Add remaining ingredients. With the motor of the food processor still running, pour the melted chocolate, syrup, yogurt, and cinnamon in through the top until the mixture is smooth.
FAQs and tips
- Make sure to refrigerate the pudding for a few hours before consuming. That way, it has time to solidify and become more pudding-like in texture.
- To cook the sweet potato: peel and dice one large sweet potato, then place them in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Boil the sweet potato until it's easy to pierce with a fork.
What if I don't own a food processor?
The second best option is an electric mixer (stand or hand mixer). Start by mixing the sweet potato on its own to get a majority of the clumps out, then add the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth.
More sweet potato recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Chocolate Sweet Potato Pudding
- 1 cup sweet potato cooked and mashed
- 3 oz. dark chocolate
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt Greek or dairy free
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Add chocolate and coconut oil to a small skillet and heat over medium-low, stirring until chocolate has melted; set aside.
- If you haven't already, place cooked sweet potato into your food processor and pulse for 10 seconds or so. Then, with the motor still running, add the melted chocolate, syrup, yogurt, and cinnamon in through the top and pulse until smooth.
- Scoop pudding out into a jar or two, then place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Enjoy!
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in December 2016. It was updated with new text and photos in August 2020.