Easy Vegan Key Lime Pie Tarts are a delicious, bite-sized dessert that come together in about 40 minutes TOTAL. No baking is required, and they're made with dates, cashews and maple syrup and taste like key lime pie!
- Similar to my no bake cheesecake, but with a hint of lime
- Delicious bite-size dessert recipe that tastes like key lime pie
- Raw, vegan and lightly sweetened with dates and maple syrup
Dates - Deglet or medjool, and make sure they're pitted
Cashews - Raw cashews, not salted and/or roasted
Nuts - I used a combination of walnuts and pecans, but almonds would work too if you're looking for a substitution
Maple syrup - Can sub honey, though these won't be vegan if you do, so just keep that in mind
Milk - ANY dairy-free milk
Step 1: Make the crust. Add the dates, walnuts, pecans, coconut oil, and syrup to a food processor and pulse until everything is combined. You may want to do this in two batches.
Step 2: Fill the muffin tin. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with coconut oil or nonstick spray, then scoop the crust out of the food processor either with a spoon or your hands and press it down into the bottom. Place the entire muffin tin into the freezer while you make the filling.
Step 3: Make the filling. Add the soaked cashews, milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla to a blender and pulse until the mixture is creamy. This may take a minute or so, so be patient. If it doesn't seem to be blending, add more milk through the top of the blender 1 tablespoon at a time, but be careful not to add too much or the filling will be too thin.
Step 4: Pour the cashew cream on top. Remove the muffin tin from the freezer and distribute the blended cashew cream on top of each tart crust. Sprinkle lime zest on top, then place the tin back into the freezer for at least 20 minutes, but preferably longer.
Before serving, run a knife along the edge of each tart, then carefully remove them.
FAQs and Tips
- Make sure to soak the cashews ahead of time; otherwise, they won't be soft enough to create a creamy filling. If you're in a pinch, you can add the cashews to a saucepan and boil them for 20 minutes instead.
- Storage: In my opinion, these are best stored in the freezer so they can hold shape. Simply remove them 5-10 minutes before you want to enjoy so they thaw out a bit.
How long will these last?
Awhile! Since these tarts are raw AND since they're stored in the freezer, they'll stay fresh for much longer than other desserts. With that said, I'd try to consume them within 30 days so they taste fresh.
More vegan desserts
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Vegan Key Lime Pie Tarts
for the crust:
- 1 ½ cup pitted dates
- 1 cup walnuts
- ½ cup pecans
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
for the filling:
- 2 cups soaked cashews
- ½ cup dairy-free milk
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest or more
- For the crust: combine dates, walnuts, pecans, oil, and syrup in a food processor and pulse until everything is mixed together. You may want to do this in 2 batches.
- Grease a muffin tin with coconut oil then evenly distribute the crust, using your hands or a spoon to smash it down flat; place tin in the freezer.
- For the filling: place cashews, milk, oil, syrup, extract, and lime juice in a high-power blender and pulse. If mixture seems to be stuck, add additional milk 1 tablespoon at a time, but be careful not to add too much additional milk or the filling will be too thin.
- Pour cashew cream overtop of the 12 tart crusts, evenly distributing it.
- Sprinkle each tart with lime zest and place muffin tin back in the freezer for at least 20 minutes, allowing time for them to harden.
- Store tarts in the freezer and use a knife to remove tarts from muffin tin.
- Eat frozen OR leave out for 10 or so minutes, allowing time for them to thaw before eating.
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in March 2016. It was updated with new text and photos in July 2020.
These look so delicious
Emilie @ Emilie Eats says
What a good sister you are. <3 I have something key lime-ish on the bloggy schedule too! Mostly because I have summer on the mind...
Alysia at Slim Sanity says
Carrot cake would be enough to make me break any kind of diet I'm eating, lol. At least he had these delicious options!!
Dani @ Dani California Cooks says
These look delicious! Your brother is lucky to have you provide snacks and desserts so he's not just stuck with trailmix!
Arman @ thebigmansworld says
What a kind sister you are. I am all about the limes lately, especially with bitters and lemonade. 😀
These are just the cutest things! I love key lime pie and love the festive green for st. pattys 🙂
Amanda @ .running with spoons. says
I'm not normally drawn to citrus flavoured desserts either, but then every time I have one, I end up loving it. And I definitely forgot all about St.Patrick's day. Maaaaybe I'll manage to pull something green out of my sleeve by then. Maybe.
If it's not Christmas or July 4 I pretty much forget about it.
Leah @ Grain Changer says
I am a SUCKER for key lime anything, and these look like perfection. You are SO SWEET to look out for your bro! Veganism is going to be a SNAP for him with someone like you around to keep him well and deliciously fed 😉
Yes yes let's hope so! Now I have someone else to eat all my raw treats other than just me 😀
Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food says
Nice of you to help your brother out! My sister was vegan for most of her adult life and I never made her anything. She started eating meat again this year, though, so now I don't need to worry about it haha.
Hhaha! NOW you can make her stuff.
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine says
Whenever my brother approves of my cooking, I KNOW it's a major win!
The only St. P's recipe I need is my finally perfected soda bread!!!
Friends/family approval is SUCH a relief haha
Shashi @ RunninSrilankan says
You are such a sweet, supportive sister - I hoped you scored major points in the sis department with these! Not only do they sound amazing (mmm that cashew cream filling) but they look so darn adorable too!
Happy Friday friend!
Haha! Always trying to score nice sister points 😉 Thanks Shashi!