This quick and healthy Adrenal Cocktail recipe is the perfect afternoon pick-me-up! Made with three simple ingredients, it's a great alternative to a second cup of coffee.
Say hello to my latest obsession: an Adrenal Cocktail!
Perhaps you've seen a version of this recipe floating around on Instagram? If not, no worries -- I'm going to fill you in on why this drink is the BEST and why you need to try it yourself.
See, I love a cup of coffee -- specifically cold brew -- but I try to stick to one cup per day. But you know those days when you need a little afternoon pick-me-up? Skip the second cup of coffee and make this healthy and delicious alternative instead.
You might be thinking, "But Erin, how do you know all of this?!" Great question. I've been seeing a functional medicine doctor for the past few months, and she recommended I add an adrenal cocktail to my afternoon regimen.
It's full of whole food vitamin C, potassium and sodium, and won't give you the energy crash that often comes after a cup of joe. Basically, it'll keep you cool and calm while also providing energy.
Why you'll love this drink
- Made with only three ingredients, with a few simple add-ins if you want to bulk it up a bit
- Provides electrolytes, vitamins and minerals in a natural way
- Perfect for anyone who feels tired or sluggish in the afternoon, suffers from adrenal fatigue, and/or feels stressed out throughout the day
- My recipe is simply a guide -- feel free to experiment and use your own ingredient ratios to make it your own!
Orange juice - Make sure to use pulp-free orange juice with the only ingredient being oranges/orange juice. Basically, if you want the full benefits, opt for orange juice without any additives. Not a fan of OJ? Try vitamin C powder instead!
Coconut water - Same thing applies to the coconut water -- simple is best. If you don't like coconut water, try aloe vera juice instead.
Sea salt - Provides sodium, which helps to maintain proper adrenal function and regulate stress
Collagen powder - You can't even taste it and you'll get the benefits of collagen (protein, stronger hair and nails, reducing joint pain).
Coconut cream - Adding coconut cream adds healthy fat and makes this drink taste like an orange creamsicle. Seriously, it's good!
Cream of tartar - A little bit goes a long way and it adds potassium
This recipe is really easy, but here's how you make it:
Pour orange juice and coconut water into a glass and give them a stir, then add the sea salt and stir that in as well. Drink up!
If you opt to add coconut cream, coconut milk or heavy cream, you may want to use your blender so that everything blends up nicely.
- High cortisol tends to be a result of chronic stress, and believe it or not, this drink can aid in the process of reducing stress by providing vitamins and minerals that our bodies need!
- This drink is NOT a meal replacement! I usually enjoy mine one hour before or after eating a snack.
- There are SO many versions of this recipe -- I've tried to include them all in the recipe card below. For example, you can omit the orange juice altogether and just use coconut water, a fresh squeeze of lemon juice or lime juice and sea salt if you prefer.
- Storage: make this ahead of time and store it in a glass jar with a lid in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If you add the coconut cream, you may need to re-blend before drinking because separation may occur.
What are the health benefits of an adrenal cocktail?
So many! Our adrenal glands can become stressed throughout the day, and this drink helps to replace nutrients that the adrenals use up during stressful times. It can aid in blood sugar, cortisol levels and hormone regulation, too!
When is the best time to make this cocktail?
Either mid-morning, around 10 am, or mid-afternoon, around 2 or 3 pm. Those are the times when our energy tends to crash, so ideally, that's when you'd have this drink. I've been enjoying this once per day during the work week around 2 pm and it's been lovely.
What are the symptoms of adrenal fatigue?
Our adrenal glands are located on top of both kidneys. They help to regulate everything from metabolism, blood pressure, our response to stress and our immune system.
Adrenal fatigue is caused by prolonged stress, which drains the adrenal glands, causes high cortisol and therefore added stress to our bodies. Endocrine web has a great article explaining adrenal fatigue.
Symptoms include: brain fog, tiredness, low energy, strong cravings for salty/sweet foods, and trouble falling asleep and/or waking up.
More healthy drink recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup coconut water
- pinch sea salt
- 1 scoop collagen powder
- 2 tablespoon coconut cream or full fat coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Stir the orange juice, coconut water and salt together in a glass and drink up! Alternatively, you can add them to a mason jar with a lid and shake to combine.
- If you're adding the optional add-ins -- specifically the coconut cream/milk -- you'll want to add everything to a blender and blend for 10-15 seconds.
- Orange juice - can use vitamin C powder instead or omit altogether
- Coconut water - Can use as the main ingredient instead of OJ or omit altogether
- If you DON'T use the orange juice, add 1 tablespoon or lemon or lime juice instead