This Cottage Cheese Dip is light, healthy, and has all of the characteristics of a crave-worthy ranch dressing. No fancy ingredients or equipment needed. Just stir and serve!
Ranch dip is one of those condiments that makes everything better. From chicken tenders to potato chips to chicken wings, there’s not much you can’t dip in ranch!
One way to eat ranch dressing on the regular is to stick with this Cottage Cheese Dip. It has everything you love about ranch, but swaps the heavy base with lighter alternatives, like cottage cheese and yogurt.
The 7 ingredients are simple and can be stirred together in seconds. You’re left with a dip that has a distinct herbaceous, oniony, and garlicky flavor that you, family, and friends are sure to love. Serve it on game day, for potlucks, or parties! There’s always room for a healthy ranch dip at the get-together.
- It tastes, looks, and feels just like ranch dip, but is much healthier thanks to the cottage cheese and yogurt base.
- All it takes are 7 ingredients and no special equipment. Just stir and serve!
- Enjoy it as a healthy chip dip on game day, for potlucks, or as a healthy after-school snack. You can even repurpose it as a salad dressing or sauce!
Cottage cheese - This mild and soft white cheese is processed into three varieties: regular (4%), low-fat (2%), and non-fat (less than 0.5%). Regular cottage cheese has the creamiest texture and most decadent flavor. Feel free to use low-fat or non-fat; the texture and taste will only be slightly different.
Yogurt - Plain regular yogurt or Greek yogurt elevates the creamy texture and tangy flavor. Instead of yogurt, you can use sour cream, mayonnaise, or whipped cream cheese.
Seasonings - A simple mixture of garlic powder, onion powder, dill, and salt gives this cottage cheese and yogurt dip a taste that’s similar to a classic ranch dressing. If you want, add a pinch of cayenne for a subtle heat.
Step 1: Combine the cottage cheese and yogurt. Add the cottage cheese and yogurt to a bowl and stir to combine.
Step 2: Mix with dry seasonings. Add the spices and seasonings and stir until they’re fully incorporated.
Step 3: Garnish and serve. Garnish the dip with chopped dill or chives and serve with a platter of fresh vegetables or potato chips for dipping. Enjoy!
Tips and FAQs
- Instead of garlic powder and onion powder, mix freshly minced onion and garlic into the dip to embolden the zesty, savory flavors. Caramelized onions work too!
- The dip is easy to mix together using a spoon. To whip even more air into it, blend the ingredients in a food processor, high speed blender, or with an electric mixer to really fluff it up.
- Want a thinner, dressing-like consistency instead? Mix in a teaspoon of milk, water, or white vinegar at a time until it loosens up.
Is cottage cheese good for you?
Cottage cheese has a ton of health benefits, making it a wonderful alternative to cream cheese, mayo, and sour cream in creamy dip recipes. It’s low calorie (163 calories per 1 cup serving), provides you with nearly half of your daily protein (28 grams of protein per 1 cup serving), and a wonderful source of B vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, and selenium.
What do you serve with cottage cheese ranch dip?
Serve a bowl of dip next to a platter of sliced vegetables, crackers, pita bread, pretzels, and potato chips for dipping.
How else can you use cottage cheese dip?
Did you end up with leftovers? Great! Repurpose them in a few different ways:
- Mix the dip with raw horseradish to make a creamy horseradish sauce for steaks and steak bites.
- Toss it with cooked pasta noodles and some of the reserved pasta water for a creamy pasta sauce.
- Scoop it onto baked potatoes with chives and bacon bits.
- Use it as a french fry, chicken nugget, or chicken wing dip.
- Stir a scoop or two into whisked eggs before scrambling. The acidity in the cottage cheese should produce extra fluffy and creamy scrambled eggs.
What else can you add to flavor cottage cheese dip?
You have a few options. Instead of sticking to the garlic and onion powder or dried herbs, season the dip with 2 to 3 teaspoons of dry buffalo seasoning, taco seasoning, French onion dip mix, or everything bagel seasoning.
- Refrigerator: Store the creamy cottage cheese dip in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 to 7 days.
- Freezer: The dip can also be frozen for 2 to 3 months but the taste and texture won’t exactly be the same once it’s thawed.
More healthy dip recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Cottage Cheese Dip
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup yogurt
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- chives or fresh dill for garnish
- Stir cottage cheese and yogurt together in a bowl. Then, add the seasonings and stir to combine. Garnish with fresh dill and/or chopped chives and enjoy! Serve with: potato chips, baby carrots, celery, and/or cucumber.
Leave a Reply