Say hello to your new favorite wing recipe! These Barbecue Chipotle Wings feature a spicy chipotle rub and are topped with a tasty barbecue sauce mixture.
May I introduce my (ok Miguel’s…) new favorite recipe: barbecue chipotle wings! Yep, yep we’re doin’ it.
THE BIG GAME IS NEXT WEEKEND, after all. If the Steelers were in it, I’d probably watch it. Also, I might still watch it, if only for the comrodery, which is arguably the best part of sports. And for the food. Ohhhhhh the food. What food, you ask? Football food of course! Like burgers, and fries and wings! The very best, or perhaps the very worst depending on how you look at it.
Also, if you’re a Steelers fan, I just want you to know that it’s my fault they lost. I never watch any of the games—and I mean never—but both of my parents told me I HAD to watch the last playoff game, so I did, and they lost and for that, I am truly sorry. If you could care less about the Steelers or sports, then disregard everything I just said.
These wings though… they’re on fire! No really, they’re spicier than I planned but ended up being better tasting than I thought they would be so….. I’m not complaining. The key is adding a five ingredient chipotle rub to them, baking them ’til they’re crispy and then adding a bunch of barbecue sauce. Rub first, sauce second.
If you’re wondering why I have a ramekin of honey, the answer is I don’t know. Most people eat wings with ranch, but I’m not a ranch fan so before even thinking wings+ranch I thought wings+honey. Ah well, you get the point, though these would be awesome with some honey. Heck, maybe even honey and ranch! Go wild, go crazy.
Wings are undoubtedly Miguel’s favorite food, which is mildly embarrassing, but I try not to judge him. These chipotle barbecue wings are absolutely Miguel-approved. They’re spicy and full of flavor and perfect for game watching or not game watching, whatever you choose. Best part? They come together in about 45 minutes, and you don’t need to marinade them for hours ahead of time, so they can easily be a last minute appetizer. WOOHOO!
Happy Friday, friends!
Barbecue Chipotle Wings
- 18 chicken wings
- 1 tsp chipotle seasoning
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce of choice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp chipotle seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine rub ingredients into a bowl.
- Dip each chicken wing into the rub and place on a nonstick baking and/or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake chicken wings for approximately 35-40 minutes, flipping them over half way through.
- While wings are cooking, prepare the sauce.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat until butter has melted. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once wings are baked, brush them with sauce on both sides and place back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and enjoy with your favorite condiment(s)!