This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
Chimichurri Hummus is the best of both worlds: creamy homemade hummus topped with swirls of herby chimichurri. Both are made in a food processor, and make for a delicious appetizer!
My final vacation recipe is this easy chimichurri hummus, which I had and loved at Balagan. It's a very easy appetizer or snack, and great for indecisive people like myself, who can't decide what they want. Why choose one when you can have both?!
I love my buttery Turkish hummus, but this version with chimichurri gives that recipe a run for its money. It packs more flavor, and is a great way to use up fresh herbs, specifically parsley.
- Garlicky hummus combines with herby chimichurri for a snack that pairs well with carrots, chips, naan, and/or pita bread.
- An easy way to use up fresh parsley.
This is a summary of the main ingredients; the full ingredient list is below in the recipe card.
Chickpeas - Drained, rinsed and peeled. Yes, peeling garbanzo beans is a little annoying, but it creates a much creamier consistency than if you leave the skins on. It's worth it!
Tahini - Tahini is an essential hummus ingredient, but if you want to switch it up, you could use melted butter instead (yes really!).
Garlic - You'll use garlic in both the hummus and the chimichurri, so don't leave it out.
Parsley - Fresh parsley is a must for chimichurri -- no substitutions!
Vinegar - Red wine vinegar is the way to go!
Oil - Preferably olive oil, as other oils won't provide as much or the correct flavor. If you have to substitute, use avocado oil.
Step 1: Make the hummus. Start by adding the peeled chickpeas, along with the tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Then, pulse for 20 seconds or so before adding the water in through the top. Continue pulsing, scraping down the sides as needed, until the consistency is smooth and creamy.
Scoop the hummus out into a bowl, using the back of a spoon to smooth it out. Rinse the food processor out.
Step 2: Make the chimichurri sauce. Next, add the parsley, garlic, red wine vinegar, salt, oregano, smoked paprika, and red pepper flakes to the food processor and pulse. With the motor still running, pour the olive oil in through the top and continue pulsing until everything is combined.
Step 3: Assemble. Dollop the chimichurri overtop of the hummus. Serve it with pita bread, veggies or chips and enjoy!
Tips and tricks
- If you don't own a food processor, you should be able to make this in a small blender instead (think: Nutribullet); but, you may need to add more liquid, so keep that in mind.
- Always do a taste test and add more garlic/salt/pepper to taste.
- Want to take it to the next level? Make my crunchy roasted chickpeas to serve on top of this! I recommend using some type of garlic/garlic herb seasoning for them.
What should I serve this with?
Can this be made in advance?
I wouldn't! However, you can peel the chickpeas ahead of time and store them in a sealed container in the refrigerator until you're ready to use them. That way, everything is ready to go and the whole recipe should take only 10 minutes to make.
More easy appetizers
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
for the hummus:
- Start by making the hummus: If you haven't already, drain and rinse the chickpeas in a fine mesh strainer. Then, remove the peels from the chickpeas (this step takes 10 minutes or so, but it's 100% worth it and creates the creamiest hummus!).
- Plus the peeled chickpeas in the food processor, along with the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Pulse for 15 seconds, then pour the olive oil in through the top and continue pulsing until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Scoop the hummus out into a bowl, then rinse out the food processor.
- Next, make the chimichurri: add the parsley, garlic, vinegar, salt, oregano, paprika, and red pepper flakes and pulse for 10-15 seconds. Pour the olive oil in through the top and continue pulsing until the chimichurri is blended, scraping the sides down as needed.
- Drizzle the chimichurri overtop of the hummus and enjoy!