This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
This extra-filling Chocolate Smoothie recipe is loaded with protein and chocolate goodness. It’s rich, healthy, and, most importantly, chocolatey!
It’s hard to make breakfast fun, right? Wrong! This Chocolate Smoothie is chocolatey, creamy, and deliciously rich. It’s like dessert in a glass!
Blending avocado, protein powder, and banana together is what gives this smoothie a uniquely rich and thick texture. It’s similar to my Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie, in that it’s more filling than your average smoothie, but puts more of a focus on the divine chocolate flavors.
You may be surprised to learn that chocolate and avocado are basically BFFs (as proven in my Avocado Brownies recipe). Cocoa powder hides the flavor from the avocado, while the green fruit makes every sip of this chocolate avocado smoothie feel like a chocolatey dessert. I highly recommend enjoying a glass for breakfast because it fills you up and adds a little fun to the start of your day!
- It’s thicker and more filling than your average smoothie thanks to the avocado and protein powder.
- Avocado + cocoa powder + banana = a sweet, creamy, healthy, and filling chocolate smoothie!
- It’s made with a handful of wholesome, nourishing ingredients. Plus, it can be made dairy free with a few simple substitutions.
Banana - You can use a fresh or frozen banana here. A frozen banana will make the smoothie ice-cold and give it a thicker consistency, but you’ll need to use less or omit the ice entirely.
Avocado - There are plenty of reasons why you should start adding avocados to smoothies. First, they can protect your cardiovascular health. Second, their healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats can help lower your cholesterol. Lastly, they’re rich and delicious! Blended avocado is ultra creamy and pairs especially well with chocolate (try this Chocolate Avocado Cake if you need proof).
Yogurt - Use regular, Greek, or non-dairy yogurt.
Protein powder - I recommend using chocolate, vanilla, or plain protein powder. Other flavors won’t complement the chocolate flavor as well. Or, if you don’t have protein powder, leave it out!
Cocoa powder - Try to use unsweetened cocoa powder.
Milk - Again, use regular milk or non–dairy milk if you need the smoothie to be vegan/dairy free.
Step 1: Add everything to a blender. Place all of the ingredients into a high-powered blender.
Step 2: Blend, then enjoy. Blend until the consistency is completely smooth. Pour the chocolate smoothie into a glass, then enjoy!
Tips and FAQs
- Is the smoothie too thick? Blend in 1 tablespoon of milk at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Make it a meal by topping your smoothie with chocolate shavings, cocoa powder, crushed nuts, chocolate gingerbread granola, or fruit.
- Easily double or triple the recipe to make a big batch of chocolate smoothies.
- Add 1 pitted date if you like your chocolate smoothies to taste extra sweet.
- Give it a boost of caffeine and enhance the chocolate flavor by blending in 1 teaspoon of espresso powder (or instant coffee) or 1 ounce of brewed espresso (or coffee).
Can you make it ahead of time?
I don’t recommend making a chocolate avocado smoothie more than a few hours ahead of serving. Avocado flesh starts to turn brown when it’s exposed to air. While this doesn’t affect the look of your smoothie, brown avocado doesn’t taste nearly as good as the fresh, green stuff.
What else can you add to a chocolate smoothie?
You can give this smoothie an even higher nutritional boost by adding healthy ingredients that won’t affect the flavor. Ground flaxseed, chia seeds, hemp seeds, spinach, or kale are all good options!
More smoothie recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy!