Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Chocolate Walnut Smoothie is made with walnuts and cocoa powder, along with bananas, for a healthy yet sweet breakfast recipe.
Looking for a NEW way to use up walnuts? Look no further than this walnut smoothie!
This recipe is an oldie but goodie, and always makes me wonder why walnuts aren’t utilized more in smoothie recipes. They’re SO good, and pair perfectly with chocolate and/or banana.
- A delicious way to use walnuts
- An easy grab-and-go breakfast
- Can customize your own add-ins like chia seeds, hemp hearts and/or spinach
Banana – This is the fruit of choice in many smoothie recipes. If you can’t eat or don’t like bananas, simply double the amount of walnuts you use, or substitute 1/2 cup soaked cashews instead.
Walnuts – No substitution; this is a walnut smoothie after all 😉
Cocoa powder – Could substitute fruit if you want (see notes below)
Maple syrup – Can sub honey or any sweetener or choice; can also omit completely.
Chia seeds – Optional; could sub hemp hearts if you prefer; the chia seeds simply help to add a little extra nutritional value (fiber, protein) to this smoothie.
Add all ingredients to your blender, then blend for at least 30 seconds. If you’re using a frozen banana, you may need to add more milk and blend for a bit longer.
FAQs and tips
- Want a thicker smoothie consistency? Slice the banana into bite-size pieces, then place them in a freezer-safe bag for a few hours or overnight. Not only will this help create a cold smoothie, but it will also result in a thick, creamy texture.
- Don’t love cocoa powder? Try substituting 1/2 cup of your favorite fruit (I’d go with either strawberries or blueberries)
What add-ins could I include in this smoothie?
Adding more ingredients to this walnut smoothie will only make it even more filling — I say go for it! These include: hemp hearts, spinach (or your choice of greens), yogurt, and/or pitted dates.
More delicious smoothie recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Chocolate Walnut Smoothie
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chia seeds optional
- 3/4 cup almond milk or more
- Pinch of sea salt
- Add ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
UPDATE NOTE: This recipe was originally published in January 2018. It was updated with new text in November 2020.