Chili Roasted Pistachios are an easy and crunchy snack you can serve at parties or enjoy as an afternoon pick-me-up! The nuts are coated in a sweet and smoky honey-chili sauce, roasted until crisp, and ready to eat in 30 minutes.
Just when you think pistachios are only good for blending into berry smoothies or topping on roasted salmon, homemade Chili Roasted Pistachios come along! It’s an easy snack that requires minimal ingredients and is ready to eat in just 30 minutes. The nuts are salty, smoky, and slightly sweet, and the perfect fit for fancy cocktail parties or an afternoon snack.
Here’s the thing: pistachios are already great on their own. They’re salty, buttery, and so crunchy. But when you coat them in a honey and chili sauce, then roast them in the oven, all of those nutty flavors are enhanced. The crunch from the crystalized honey and smoky chili powder makes this snack 10 times more enjoyable!
- Coating picture-perfect pistachios in a sweet, yet smoky sauce is the best way to make them taste even better.
- It’s a naturally oil free, vegan, and gluten free snack. What’s not to love?
- The entire recipe comes together in only 30 minutes, and can easily be doubled to serve a crowd.
Pistachios - Unsalted pistachios with the shells removed are best! Salted pistachios also work if you omit the additional salt from the honey chili sauce.
Honey - Or use agave syrup. Liquid sweetener is not only necessary to balance the spice but it also keeps this recipe oil free and ensures that every nut is evenly coated with spices. Furthermore, the sugars will crystalize under the heat in the oven, giving the nuts a caramelized crunch.
Chili powder - No substitutions here! This smoky spice is the heart of this easy, healthy snack.
Simple spices - The honey and chili sauce is also mixed together with garlic powder, salt, and cayenne (if you like the extra heat). Feel free to play around with the flavors here and add even more flavor-enhancers, like lime zest, smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder, cinnamon, or black pepper.
Step 1: Make the marinade. Whisk the honey, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne together in a bowl.
Step 2: Add the pistachios. Pour the pistachios into the bowl and stir until they’re well coated in the sauce.
Step 3: Roast. Pour the coated pistachios onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and spread them out into an even layer. Bake in the oven until crisp.
Step 4: Enjoy! Give the nuts a few minutes to cool before serving.
Tips and FAQs
- Make sure you give the roasted pistachios at least 5 to 10 minutes to cool. As they cool, the honey coating will harden around the nut, giving them plenty of crunch.
- Brown sugar or coconut sugar can be used instead of honey. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil or melted coconut oil to ensure the spices and sugar can still evenly coat the nuts.
Can you air fry them instead?
Sure! To air fry the chili pistachios, lay the coated nuts in an even layer in an air fryer basket. Cook at 325ºF for 10 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through. When they’re done, let the nuts cool for a few minutes before serving.
Do I have to use pistachios?
Not if you don’t want to! You can make the sauce as-is and stir in any nut you like, such as peanuts, cashews, pecans, etc. The baking times may vary depending on the nut you use.
Are chili roasted pistachios spicy?
Kind of. The cayenne is where these roasted nuts get most of their heat. If you aren’t a fan of spicy foods, simply omit the cayenne.
How long do roasted pistachios last?
Chili roasted pistachios will last for 3 to 4 days when stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
More easy and healthy snacks
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Chili Roasted Pistachios
- 1 cup pistachios shelled
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat oven to 250° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Next, whisk the honey, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne together in a bowl, then pour in the pistachios and stir until they're coated.
- Transfer the pistachios to the baking sheet, using the back of a spoon to spread them out.
- Bake the pistachios for 20-25 minutes. Remove them from the oven, then wait 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply