This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
This Hummus Flatbread is made with traditional pizza dough and topped with hummus, roasted red peppers and feta cheesy for a healthy lunch or afternoon snack!
I couldn't love this hummus flatbread more!
It's one of those recipes that you can make for yourself for lunch, but equally as delicious to serve at a small get-together. Plus, who doesn't love hummus?!
As much as I love making my own hummus because it's so easy (looking at you, Turkish hummus), I used store-bought hummus for this recipe and have zero regrets about it!
Truthfully, this flatbread can be made with any variety of hummus, but I personally recommend using roasted red pepper hummus because it pairs perfectly with the other ingredients.
Oh, and did I mention it kind of reminds me of my pizza toast recipe? Equally as easy, and perfect for those days when you just need bread and cheese.
- Made like a homemade pizza, meaning it's ready in under 30 minutes
- Topped with hummus, kale, red onion, and feta cheese for Mediterranean-inspired dish
- Can easily be made vegan if you substitute your favorite vegan feta (I love Violife)
Pizza dough: I used Trader Joe's pizza dough, located in the refrigerated section, but feel free to use pre-made crust (instead of dough); if you go this route, you'll have to bake the pizza according to the box instructions.
Hummus: Use your favorite store-bought or homemade roasted red pepper hummus!
Kale: Or sub your favorite greens instead.
Red pepper: I opted to use a red bell pepper and then sear it in a skillet until lightly charred; but, you could also use jarred roasted red peppers instead.
Cheese: Feta or goat cheese -- use dairy-free cheese to keep this vegan
Step 1: Roll out the dough. Begin by flouring a flat surface, then rolling out the dough, or using your hands to stretch it, then place it on a large baking sheet and bake it at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until the edges are golden.
Step 2: Roast the peppers. While the crust is baking, add the sliced bell pepper to a skillet without any oil (though you can spray with nonstick spray); sear the peppers for a few minutes until they're slightly charred, then add the kale and 1 tablespoon of oil and cook until the kale is wilted.
Step 3: Assemble the flatbread. Once the dough is done, use the back of a spoon to smooth the hummus all over, then sprinkle the pepper/kale mixture over top, along with the onions and feta cheese.
Tips and tricks
-Try to roll/stretch the dough out into a rectangular shape (rather than a circle), which will make it feel a little more like a flatbread.
-My favorite pizza dough brands are Trader Joe's (in the refrigerated section) and Whole Foods (in the frozen food aisle).
What if I want to add meat to this?
This flatbread would be delicious with some simple roasted chicken on top.
How long does this last?
It should stay good in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours.
More healthy pizza recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Flatbread
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Roll dough out into a rectangular shape, or as close to a rectangle as you can get, and place it on a baking sheet. Place baking sheet into the oven and bake pizza dough for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While pizza dough is cooking, add the sliced pepper to a skillet and sauté for 5 minutes over medium high heat, or until a bit charred on either side. Next, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, reduce the heat to low and add the kale to skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until kale is wilted; set aside.
- Once pizza done is done, spread hummus overtop; add onion, bell pepper, kale, and feta, along with any garnishes you desire.
- Slice and enjoy!
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in May 2017. It was updated with new text and photos in March 2021.