This Hummus Flatbread is made with traditional pizza dough and topped with roasted red pepper hummus, red peppers and feta cheese and is a tasty, vegetarian lunch or snack.
All hail hummus, for without it, our snack options would be far less exciting. This hummus flatbread is everything you’ve ever wanted in a lunch/snack situation: cooked pizza dough covered in roasted red pepper hummus and topped with all the best things! It’s vegetarian and almost vegan if you omit the feta and it’s so, so tasty.
With that said, I have to be honest with you: hummus isn’t my favorite snack. If given the choice between hummus and salsa, I’d choose salsa, hummus and guacamole, I’d choose guacamole, hummus and some sort of cheese dip, I’d choose the cheese dip. … I think you get the point. I like hummus, I just don’t love hummus, so imagine my surprise when I took a bite of this hummus flatbread and found myself eating HALF of it all in one sitting.
Not joking, and it wasn’t because I was starving either.
When I came up with this recipe idea, I knew it’d be good, but I didn’t imagine I’d be obsessed with it, but guys I AM. I am obsessed with this hummus flatbread and I don’t care who knows it! It’s topped with roasted red peppers, red onion, kale, feta cheese, and plenty of black pepper and red pepper flakes. It’s spicy and the feta pairs so well with the hummus and onions it’s ridiculous.
If you’re like me, you will love this flatbread, and if you’re the opposite of me—aka hummus is your go-to snack—you will really love this flatbread.
Note: I used the jarred roasted red peppers from Trader Joe’s in this recipe. However, if you can’t find already-roasted red peppers, you can simply roast them yourself by placing sliced red peppers into a skillet with little to no oil and roasting them on high for 5-7 minutes.
Also! Unlike traditional pizza, I made this one a bit differently and it’s really delicious when eaten cold. ….also I LOVE cold pizza, which is maybe also why I love this hummus flatbread so much? Anyway, you’re going to bake the pizza dough as you normally would but without any of the toppings on it. Then once it’s baked you’ll add on all the toppings. If the dough puffs up a bit in the oven (mine did both times I made this), just gently press it down with a paper towel and it should stay.
I hope you love this flatbread as much as I did, which is a lot considering I ate the whole thing in a day. No shame!
- 1 ball pizza dough
- ¼ cup roasted red pepper hummus, or classic hummus
- 2 tbsp red onion, diced
- ½ red pepper, sliced*
- 1 cup kale
- 1-2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- Black pepper, red pepper flakes, fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 420°.
- Roll dough out into a rectangular shape, or as close to a rectangle as you can get, and place it on a baking sheet. Place baking sheet into the oven and bake pizza dough for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While pizza dough is cooking, place sliced pepper into a skillet and roast for 5-10 minutes, or until a bit black on either side. Once peppers are almost done, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and kale to skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes or until kale is cooked; set peppers and kale aside.
- Once pizza done is done, spread hummus overtop; add onion, pepper, kale, and feta, along with any garnishes you desire.
- Slice and enjoy!