This Vegan Pumpkin Pie is made with a walnut crust and the perfect balance of pumpkin and spice. It’s a nice way to switch it up, and you’ll never know it’s dairy free!
It’s a vegan pumpkin pie kind of day!
Something I’ve learned in my 27 years of life is that there are two kinds of people: pie people, and non pie people. Then, within the “pie people” group, there are pumpkin pie lovers and people who just cannot get on board no matter how hard they try. Can you guess which one I am? I am ONE HUNDRED percent a pumpkin pie fan, though I think part of the reason I love it so much is because I don’t eat it/it isn’t available year-round. Please tell me you feel the same way?!
Today I’m partnering with Diamond Nuts to bring you a vegan pumpkin pie recipe made with a walnut crust. So here ya go—your new favorite pumpkin pie recipe.
WHY THIS VEGAN PUMPKIN PIE IS SO GOOD
- It’s dairy free, but you’d never know it! That way, you can serve it to mostly anyone and it’ll suit their dietary needs
- The walnut crust gives it even more flavor
- The coconut whipped cream is the perfect way to top it off
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN PUMPKIN PIE
MAKE THE CRUST: The walnut crust is made by adding all of the crust ingredients to your food processor. Then, you’ll add the wet ingredients and use your hands to make the dough. Good news! The dough only has to chill for 30 minutes before you can roll it out.
USE YOUR BLENDER: The filling can easily be made in your blender, since it’s just pumpkin, milk, syrup, and sugar. Just blend until it’s smooth, then pour it right into the pie pan with the dough.
TOP IT OFF WITH COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM: The coconut whipped cream is optional, but SO good. If you’re willing to add an extra step to the pie-making process, definitely make the whipped cream. This kind is made with coconut milk, sugar and a pinch of cinnamon and it pairs perfectly with pumpkin pie.
Tip: instead of a regular pie pan, I actually used a round tart pan for this recipe, which helped make the edges of the crust look a tad more defined. If you don’t have a tart pan that’s ok—a pie pan still works!
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER VEGAN DESSERT RECIPES
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Diamond Nuts. I’m partnering with them all year to showcase unique ways to use your favorite nuts. As always, thank you for supporting brands that support this site!
Vegan Walnut Pumpkin Pie
for the crust:
- 3/4 cup Diamond of California shelled walnuts
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- 6 tbsp dairy free butter cold
- 1/4 cup ice water or more*
for the filling:
- 1 can 15 oz. pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
for the whipped cream:
- 1 can full fat coconut milk chilled
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Place walnuts into your food processor for 30 seconds or so, or until they're finely ground. Add flour and sugar and pulse; then, add the butter and pulse again. Last, add in the ice water and pulse until dough comes together and is no longer crumbly.
- Remove dough from the processor and form it into a round disc. Wrap it in plastic wrap and stick it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or longer if preferred.
- Once the 30 minutes have passed, remove dough and preheat oven to 350°.
- Roll dough out into a circle and carefully transfer it to your pie or tart pan, using your hands to press it gently into the pan and form the edges of the crust.
- For the filling: combine all ingredients in your blender and pulse until smooth. Use a rubber spatula to scoop mixture out into the tart/pie pan, smoothing it out.
- Bake pie for 45 minutes or so. If you're using a tart pan, wait 5 minutes and then remove pie from the pan. If you're using a pie pan, simply wait for pie to cool--I recommend chilling in the refrigerator--then slice and serve with whipped cream (optional).
- For the whipped cream: the coconut milk should be mostly cream at this point, but scoop out the cream and drain out any liquid left in the can (you just want the cream part); then, add sugar and cinnamon and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Top pie with whipped cream and enjoy!