Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Mushroom Gravy Recipe is so flavorful, you’ll never know it’s dairy free! It uses dairy free butter, along with mushrooms, vegetable broth and spices to create a thick gravy that pairs perfectly with mashed potatoes, or anything really!
Is gravy the best part of Thanksgiving? I mean, MAYBE. It doesn’t get the recognition it deserves, but I’m here to change that. As much as I love plain ‘ole gravy, we’re taking it up a notch by adding MUSHROOM because mushrooms are the best. I realize some people disagree–my husband is one of those people–but they’re packed with nutrition and add a bit of texture to traditional gravy.
This mushroom gravy recipe uses dairy free better and vegetable stock, so it’s vegan-friendly but you’d never know! Read below to learn how to make this recipe in just 15 minutes.
WHY THIS MUSHROOM GRAVY IS SO GOOD
- It’s ready in under 10 minutes
- The entire recipe requires less than 10 ingredients
- It incorporates the flavor of mushrooms with traditional gravy for added texture and nutrition
VEGAN MUSHROOM GRAVY INGREDIENTS
- Butter (dairy free)
- All purpose flour
- Poultry seasoning
- Onion powder
- Vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN MUSHROOM GRAVY
Sauté the mushrooms: Start by sautéing the mushrooms with olive oil and thyme (fresh or dry) over medium heat until they’re soft, approximately 3-5 minutes. You can slice them into smaller pieces if you want, but I didn’t.
Add the butter: After the mushrooms are cooked, add the butter and wait for it to melt.
Whisk flour and seasonings: Once the butter has melted, add the flour and seasonings and whisk continuously for 1 minute before adding the broth. Simmer the mixture on low heat for 5 minutes or so, or until it’s thickened into gravy.
IS THIS GLUTEN FREE?
On its own, it’s not gluten free because it calls for all purpose flour. HOWEVER, you can easily sub cornstarch or arrowroot powder if you want to make it gluten free.
HELP! MY GRAVY IS TOO THICK/THIN
The gravy shouldn’t be too thin–it’ll thicken as you simmer it on low heat–but if it happens to get too thick, you can just add 1 tbsp of milk and that should do the trick.
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER THANKSGIVING RECIPES
Hey! If you make this recipe, I’d really appreciate it if you could comment below and leave a star rating. Thanks!
Mushroom Gravy Recipe (vegan)
- 8 oz. bella mushrooms
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup dairy free butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Add olive oil, mushrooms and thyme to a large skillet and sauté the mushrooms over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until they're soft.
- Next, add the butter and wait for it to melt. Then, add the flour and all the seasonings and whisk for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, bring mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes or so, or until the mixture has thickened into gravy. Add more salt and pepper to taste.