This Vegetable Quinoa Soup is a nice change of pace from traditional vegetable soup. It’s loaded with vegetables and protein thanks to the quinoa, is full of flavor and is best served with crusty bread.
Cheers to soup season! Seriously though, as soon as the weather starts changing and getting cooler, I can’t get enough of soup. My go-to’s are this creamy tomato soup and my mushroom soup, but this quinoa soup is up there too.
This soup actually tastes similar to chicken noodle soup, but without the chicken and with quinoa instead of noodles. So basically, it’s really delicious, super hearty and even healthier than the recipe you’re used to.
WHY THIS VEGETABLE QUINOA SOUP SOUP IS THE BEST
- It’s a switch up from traditional vegetable soup, that’s loaded with protein thanks to the quinoa
- It’s vegan and gluten free but full of flavor
- Bread and soup always go perfectly together, but especially in this recipe
HOW TO MAKE QUINOA SOUP
You’ll start by cooking the quinoa in a saucepan over the stove like you normally would. You have to cook the the quinoa separately from the rest of the soup; otherwise, the quinoa will absorb all of the broth.
So, while the quinoa is cooking, you’ll sauté the onions, garlic, celery, and carrot in a large skillet for a few minutes, then add the broth, cooked quinoa, parsley, and red pepper flakes to the saucepan. Simmer everything together for about 15 minutes, then do a taste test and add salt and pepper as needed. I usually like to add a little more red pepper flakes for extra spice.
Though you can absolutely eat this soup as-is, it’s extra delicious when served with crusty bread, like a good sourdough loaf.
HOW TO STORE SOUP
This soup is best served in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. You may notice that the longer it sits in the refrigerator, the more the broth gets absorbed. Don’t worry! If this happens, just add 1 cup of water and stir everything together before serving.
OTHER HEALTHY SOUP RECIPES
Vegetable Quinoa Soup
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 carrot stick sliced
- 1 celery stalk sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp parsley chopped
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, bring water and quinoa to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer until quinoa has absorbed the water and is cooked.
- Dice onion and mince garlic and place them in a large skillet with olive oil. Cook for a few minutes on medium heat and then add the chopped up carrots and celery. Cook those for 3-5 minutes and then add the quinoa, vegetable broth, parsley, and red pepper flakes to the pan. Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Pour into bowls and enjoy!