It’s about that time of year… What time of year, you ask? SOUP TIME.
I’ve been seeing soup recipes all over the blog world lately, which makes sense. The moment when colder weather starts rolling in is the moment that we all start craving warmer foods. I mean I’m drinking hot coffee for goodness sake. WHO AM I?! Identity crisis at its finest.
So. This soup. It’s reeeeeal good. Miguel says so. I say so. So therefore, it must be true.
Soup reminds me of being a kid. It reminds me of being out all afternoon sled riding in the snow and then coming home to a warm bowl of soup. MmmmMmmmMmmmm.
My go-to used to always be chicken noodle soup and usually Campbell’s or Progresso. Now though, store bought chicken noodle soup kinda creeps me out. Is that chicken even real? Nevermind—it’s a personal problem. Now, I stick to the canned veggie soup but honestly, I try try tryyyyyy to eat homemade soup as much as possible. It’s just so. much. better. Unless it’s Trader Joe’s tomato soup because that ish is good.
Crushed croutons, anyone?
The sad, sad story about this particular soup is that I made it, ate it for dinner, and then there were leftovers. YAY leftovers—that’s not the sad part. The sad part is that I took it in a container for my lunch the next day and it spilled everywhere so I wasn’t able to eat it. Womp, womp. Ohhhhh the unfortunate life I live. I kid, kind of. Not about the story but… well you get it.
This soup is filling, but be sure to use extra broth because the quinoa likes to soak up all the broth for itself. Selfish broth. You’ll see what I mean when you make it.Print
Vegetable Quinoa Soup
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 3-5 1x
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot stick
- 1 celery stalk
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp parsley
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Optional: crushed croutons for topping
- In a pot, bring water to a boil and then add quinoa, turn heat down and simmer until quinoa has absorbed the water and is cooked through.
- Mince garlic and place in a pan with olive oil. Cook for a few minutes on medium heat and then add the chopped up carrots and celery. Cook those for 3-5 minutes and then add the quinoa and vegetable broth to the pan. Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Add the parsley and red pepper and mix everything together.
- Pour into bowls, crush croutons overtop, and enjoy!
Q: What was your favorite soup as a kid?