Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Turkey Sweet Potato Chili is made with sweet potato, ground turkey and spices and ready in just 30 minutes! It can be made over the stovetop or in your slow cooker, and the best part is that it’s Paleo and Whole30-friendly!
This turkey sweet potato chili was an instant hit with Miguel, and I know you guys will like it too.
Chili always reminds me of my childhood. It’s not that we ate it often, but my mom’s chili recipe was so, so comforting and the perfect meal to eat on a cold winter night. There are many reasons why chili is a must-make, especially this time of year. For example, it’s a quick meal. This paleo sweet potato chili recipe takes 30 minutes from start to finish. Chili is almost always a guarantee for leftovers, which means you can take one night off from making dinner and just heat up the leftover chili. This vegetarian chili with sweet potatoes is loaded with protein, veggies and FLAVOR.
WHY THIS SWEET POTATO CHILI IS SO GOOD
- It’s a Whole30 chili recipe without beans! ..because yes, you can make chili without beans
- It’s loaded with protein veggies
- SO MUCH FLAVOR — no seriously, the smoked paprika and chipotle seasoning take this from good to great!
So what’s all in this chili anyway? Let’s chat about the main ingredients.
SWEET POTATO CHILI INGREDIENTS
- ground white turkey
- green pepper
- sweet potato
- diced tomatoes & tomato sauce
- chicken broth
Sounds simple enough, right?
HOW TO MAKE PALEO CHILI: TWO WAYS
Slow cooker: Throw everything into your slow cooker/crock pot and cook on low for 7-8 hours. You can throw the raw turkey right in there and it’ll cook nicely in your slow cooker. This way is probably the simplest, but I wanted my chili to be done ASAP, so I opted for option 2.
Stovetop: Cook chili over the stove top, which takes about 30 minutes from start to finish. If you decide to go with this option, there are a few steps involved, but the chili will be done in no time. Let’s walk through it.
For the stovetop method:
Step 1: add turkey, oil, onion, and the green pepper to a dutch oven or large skillet and cook until the turkey is no longer pink.
Step 2: while the turkey is cooking, peel and dice the sweet potato, then add it, along with the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, to the pot. In this recipe, the sweet potato replaces traditional beans, but trust me when I say you won’t even miss them.
Step 3: pour in the chicken broth and add the spices for a kick of flavor, then allow the chili to simmer for 15 minutes or so. As the chili is simmering, the sweet potatoes will cook completely, and that’s when you’ll know the chili is done.
Last, I suggest topping the chili with sliced avocado. If you’re not doing whole30, feel free to include extra toppings like shredded cheese and/or sour cream.
You’re going to LOVE this whole30 approved sweet potato chili. It’s super flavorful, makes plenty of chili for leftovers and maybe most importantly, it’s QUICK!
MORE CHILI RECIPES:
Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 lb. ground white turkey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce*
- 1 can 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- NOTE: you can make this in the crock pot if you prefer! Simply add ALL the ingredients and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- To make on the stove: add turkey, oil, onion, and pepper to a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat and stir occasionally until turkey is cooked. Then, add the garlic and sweet potato and stir for 1 minute.
- Next, add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, broth, and spices to the skillet, stir, then place lid on top and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer chili for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.
- Serve chili with avocado and enjoy!