A quick Paleo Beef Pho recipe that’s Whole30 compliant and completely delicious. It uses zucchini and kelp noodles to keep it gluten free, and is full of flavor!
WHOLE30 PHO RECIPE
Even if you’re not doing a Whole30 right now, I think you’ll enjoy this paleo beef pho recipe. I’ve made it at least five times–which is a lot considering I’m always coming up with new recipes–and Miguel and I have both loved it every time. It uses simple ingredients and a blend of zucchini and kelp noodles, meaning it’s gluten free and whole30 approved, too!
Growing up, we never ate pho, or anything like it for that matter, but a couple years ago Miguel and I went to a Vietnamese restaurant in the DC area and I decided to give it a try. To my surprise (but also not surprising at all), I LOVED it. It was a bowl of warmth and comfort, similar to soup but somehow even better? Needless to say, I knew I needed to figure out how to make some at home.
BEEF PHO INGREDIENTS
- star anise
- fish sauce
- beef broth
- kelp noodles
HOW TO MAKE PHO
There might be a few different ways to prepare pho, but I really like this method from the Kitchn.
Essentially, you broil onion and ginger, which really helps to bring out their flavor, then you combine them with the cinnamon, cloves and star anise.
Next, you’ll add in the fish sauce and beef broth– any kind of broth works, but since we’re using beef in this recipe beef broth is the first choice–and you’ll simmer everything for 15 minutes or so. Meanwhile, sear the beef in a skillet until it’s cooked to your liking, approximately 2-3 minutes per side.
*I prefer buying beef that’s also cut into “chunks” simply because it saves me a step in the cooking process.
Last, you’ll add the zucchini and kelp noodles to the simmering broth and cook for a couple of minutes. You want the zucchini noodles to be softer but not soggy, so keep an eye on them.
OTHER WHOLE30 RECIPES
Paleo Beef Pho
- 1 yellow onion diced
- One 4 inch piece of ginger sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 star anise
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 32 oz. beef broth
- 1/2 package 1/2 lb. kelp noodles
- 1 zucchini spiralized
- 1/2 lb. beef sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 can bean sprouts basil and lime for garnish
- Place onion and ginger on a baking sheet and broil on high for 5 minutes or so, or until onions start turning slightly golden.
- While they're broiling, place cinnamon, cloves and star anise in a large saucepan and heat over medium-high.
- Transfer broiled ginger and onion to saucepan; add fish sauce and beef broth and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place beef, salt and pepper in a skillet and cook beef completely.
- While beef is cooking, make the kelp noodles according to instructions on the package, and spiralize the zucchini. Once kelp noodles are almost cooked, add zucchini noodles to pot and cook for 3-5 minutes. You want the noodles to be softer, but not soggy.
- At this point. strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer, removing all of the "chunks" and stuff.
- Strain the noodles and place into a bowl (or bowls). Add beef to bowls and then pour strained broth overtop.
- If NOT doing Whole30/keeping this Paleo, add 1-2 tbsp sriracha overtop.