Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
You'll never know this delicious Strawberry Crisp is gluten free! Made with fresh or frozen strawberries and sprinkled with an almond flour-based crumb topping that's made without flour or oats, it's the easiest dessert recipe ever!
Say hello to your favorite summertime dessert recipe: strawberry crisp!
One of the many reasons I enjoy summer is for the summer produce, specifically berries. I love whipping up my strawberry blueberry smoothie and my almond flour blueberry muffins, but this strawberry crisp may just take the cake for the best dessert recipe.
Arguably the best part is that it's made without oats and with NO flour! Yes, you read that correctly. Instead, it uses almond flour and cornstarch or arrowroot to create the crumb topping, making this recipe both gluten free and vegan.
- A great way to make use of fresh (or frozen!) strawberries
- Sprinkled with a gluten free crumb topping
- Delicious on its own, but even better paired with vanilla ice cream or even banana nice cream
- Strawberries: Fresh or frozen! If you're using frozen strawberries, be sure to thaw them ahead of time.
- Sugar: This recipe uses both cane and brown sugar. I always recommend both when making a crisp -- like in my rhubarb crisp and apple crisp recipes -- but you can use ONLY cane sugar if you prefer.
- Almond flour: The main ingredient used for the crumb topping; if you need a substitution, try almond meal instead.
- Cornstarch: Can substitute arrowroot if you prefer
- Butter: Regular or vegan; preferably unsalted, though it doesn't really matter (crisps are very forgiving!)
Step 1: Coat the strawberries. First, add the sliced strawberries to a large bowl, then sprinkle them with brown sugar, cane sugar and cornstarch. Stir so that the berries are coated and let them sit for at least 5 minutes.
Step 2: Prepare the crumb topping. Next, add the almond flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt to a separate bowl, then pour the butter overtop and use a spoon to stir until the mixture comes together.
Step 3: Combine and bake. Pour the strawberries into a greased pie pan, then use your hands to sprinkle them crumb topping over the berries. Bake the crisp for 28-32 minutes.
Expert tips and tricks
- To quickly thaw frozen strawberries, run them under cool water, then pat them dry before adding them to the pie dish.
- If you want to cut back on sugar, try subbing coconut sugar in place of the brown sugar.
- The cornstarch is a MUST because it helps to soak up some of the strawberry juices; if you need a substitution, try arrowroot instead.
Do I have to use almond flour?
This recipe was purposefully developed without oats; if you need a substitution, almond meal will work. Alternatively, you can use half almond flour and half rolled oats if you prefer to keep this more traditional.
Is this recipe vegan/gluten free?
It easily can be! As written, this strawberry crisp IS gluten free. In order to make it vegan, simply use vegan butter.
Refrigerator: Once cooled, cover the pie dish with foil or plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
I don't recommend freezing this strawberry crisp! If you're looking for a frozen dessert, try this peanut butter pie instead.
More easy dessert recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
- 5 cups strawberries (approx. 2 lb.); sliced, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 3 tablespoon cane sugar
- 5 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
for the topping:
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter (regular or vegan); melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9" pie pan with coconut oil or nonstick spray and set aside.
- Slice strawberries and place them in a large bowl. Add the cane sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and vanilla to that same bowl and stir to combine. Allow the berries to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the crumb topping. Add the almond flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt to a separate bowl and stir to combine. Melt the butter and pour it overtop; use a spoon to stir everything together.
- Transfer the strawberries to your greased pie pan, then use your hands to sprinkle the crumb topping over the berries. Place the pie pan in the oven and bake for 28-32 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly and the top is golden brown.
- Let the crisp sit for 5 minutes, then serve warm with a side of ice cream. Enjoy!