These strawberry vanilla cupcakes are gluten free and made with almond flour, applesauce and maple syrup, making them a little healthier and perfectly moist.
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I figured I should share these strawberry vanilla cupcakes with ya! They’re gluten free—in this case made with almond flour—and perfectly MOIST. That word is in all caps because I know so many people hate that word. I used to hate that word too, but it’s grown on me.
If there’s one thing you should know about me, it’s that gluten free baked goods are not my specialty. All purpose flour is my best friend, and everything else scares me. But, I think it’s important to diversity that kinds of desserts I share, and I promise you these gluten free vanilla cupcakes do not disappoint.
GLUTEN FREE VANILLA CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS
Almond flour: there’s a difference between almond flour and almond meal, and in this recipe, you’re going to want to use almond flour. Almond flour is blanched almonds, whereas many times almond meal is not. Blanched almonds tend to make for a smoother batter, and I believe any brand should work. One of my favorite brands is from Trader Joe’s simply because it’s more affordable than other brands.
Applesauce: yep, we’re doing it! Applesauce helps to keep the batter MOIST and delicious. Again, I’m not too picky about brands, but whatever you do, make sure you use unsweetened applesauce.
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE CUPCAKES
Cook temperature: the recipe calls for the oven to be at 350°, which will make sure the cupcakes bake in about 20 minutes.
Strawberry icing: you can use fresh or frozen strawberries to make the icing. Personally, I prefer using frozen fruit when making any sort of compote. While the cupcakes are baking, you’ll heat up strawberries over the stove and allow them to break down and create a strawberry juice. Then, you’ll combine the juice with powdered sugar to create the strawberry icing. Fresh strawberries will work, but I think frozen ones give off a little more juice and break down more easily.
Storage: I recommend storing these cupcakes in an air-tight container for up to 3 days, either at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Room temperature is probably the way to go, but I tend to store anything and everything in the refrigerator, so either way works.
OTHER CUPCAKE RECIPES
- coconut cupcakes with blood orange buttercream
- gluten free apple cupcakes
- vegan almond cupcakes
- espresso cupcakes with tahini icing
Gluten Free Strawberry Vanilla Cupcakes
These gluten free strawberry vanilla cupcakes are made with almond flour and topped with fresh strawberry icing.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 14-16 cupcakes 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: cupcakes
for the cupcakes:
- 2 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
for the icing:
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 5 tbsp strawberry syrup (see below)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
for the strawberry syrup:
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, applesauce, syrup, and vanilla together.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, then distribute batter into a lined muffin tin.
- Bake cupcakes for 20-23 minutes, or until edges have set and center is baked through. Wait until cupcakes cool before icing them.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the strawberry icing: combine strawberries and water in a saucepan over high heat.Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes, allowing the strawberries to break down. If strawberries aren’t breaking down, use a wooden spoon to muddle them. Pour mixture through a mesh strainer and reserve the strawberry syrup for the icing.
- To make the icing: add all ingredients to a bowl and whip with an electric mixer.
- To assemble: ice each cupcake with strawberry icing.
Keywords: gluten free cupcakes, gluten free vanilla cupcakes, strawberry cupcakes