This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
This Savory Zucchini Bread is a savory version of your favorite recipe! It's made with all purpose flour and filled with chives, zucchini and cheddar cheese and it pairs perfectly with your favorite cream cheese.
Savory zucchini bread should be more popular -- it's incredible. I love creating savory versions of traditional recipes, like my savory mashed sweet potatoes, vegetables crepes and maple bacon scones. Add this recipe to the list next time you're craving something savory!
- A fun spin on traditional zucchini bread
- Savory bread filled with chives and cheddar cheese -- delicious as breakfast or a snack
- Delicious on its own, but even better when topped with cream cheese or butter
This is simply to clarify some of the ingredients in this recipe. The full ingredient list is below in the recipe card.
Flour - all purpose
Cheese - preferably cheddar, but could sub colby jack
Milk - ANY milk, though preferably almond, oat or dairy
Step 1: Combine dry ingredients. In a large bowl, stir the flour, garlic powder, baking soda, and salt together.
Step 2: Add wet ingredients. In that same bowl, add the egg, melted oil, milk, and chives and stir. You can use an electric mixer if you want, but I used a spatula and stirred by hand and it worked great.
Step 3: Stir in the zucchini and cheese. Last, add the shredded zucchini and cheese and stir until well combined.
Step 3: Bake bread. Pour batter into a greased bread pan (or line the pan with parchment) and bake bread for approximately 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
FAQs and tips
- I originally created this recipe to be "mini zucchini bread", so if you want to go that route, keep the recipe the same and use a mini loaf pan instead of a bread pan. With that said, you might have some batter leftover, so just keep that in mind. A mini loaf pan will yield 6 mini loaves of savory zucchini bread.
- Unlike other zucchini recipes, you do not have to squeeze any liquid out of the shredded zucchini before adding it to the bowl. Simply use a box grater to grate the zucchini directly into the bowl with the other ingredients.
What should I serve this with?
Hot tip: serve this bread with chive cream cheese! Seriously, it takes it to the next level. Don't have chive cream cheese? Use regular cream cheese and sprinkle some chives on top. Alternatively, you can top it with butter.
More bread recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Savory Zucchini Bread
- Preheat oven 350°. Melt coconut oil and set aside. Wait for oil to come to room temperature before using it.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and garlic powder in a bowl. Then, add eggs, milk, oil, and chives and stir until combined. Last, stir in the cheese and grated zucchini. (I used a box grater to grate the zucchini).
- Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil or nonstick spray, then add batter to the pan. Bake bread for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Wait 10 minutes after bread is out of the oven, then run a knife along the edges and carefully invert bread onto a cooling rack. Wait until bread cools before slicing.
- Enjoy this bread on its own--or even better--with cream cheese (or CHIVE cream cheese!)
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in July 2018. It was updated with new text and photos in July 2020.