Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Simple Garlic Tomato Pasta that you will never tire of. It’s not only flavored with garlic, but with basil, red pepper flakes and bacon, too!
There’s never really a bad time for pasta, is there? Maybe breakfast, but I could even argue that. It’s just so dang comforting—I love it.
Can you believe September’s practically over? Ok I’m being dramatic, but it sort of feels like it. I’ve been trying (and will continue to try) to create a mixture of fall-flavored recipes and classic year-round recipes. As much as I love pumpkin and apple (and I DO love them), I’m the type of person who tends to go a bit overboard with flavors until my tastebuds tire of them. Goal: let’s not do that this year.
As a side note: I’m currently sitting in my Starbucks (yes it’s mine because I’ve been going there quite frequently to write) and MY table—my usual table that I’ve claimed as my own—is currently being occupied by someone else even though it’s 7 am and usually dead at this hour. I gotta admit I’m feeling a little weird sitting at a different table. Has this ever happened to you? Kind of like if the local coffee shop/bakery is out of your “usual” and you start to panic. Same thing. Also, borderline pathetic but it happens to the best of us, or so I tell myself.
Eating tomato pasta for both lunch and dinner happens to the best of us too because uhhh life is busy, but good thing I’ll never tire of pasta or this crazy simple dish. I think what really makes this pasta is the butter. When in doubt, butter. Of course I used dairy free butter as I tend to do, but regular butter will obviously work just fine. If using two tablespoons of butter isn’t something you’re comfortable with, you could sub out one of those tablespoons for olive oil. Just a suggestion!
Oh! Also, the bacon. When does bacon not make things taste better? Real talk: it always makes things better. Always, always, always.
Though I wanted this recipe to come together in one pan, it just doesn’t, mainly because of the bacon. I tried cooking the bacon in the same skillet as the tomatoes and it ended up taking much longer to cook, so separate pans it is! This whole meal should come together in aboutttttt 20 minutes, which is my kinda weeknight meal. Eat up, pasta lovers!
- 3-4 cups pasta
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 heirloom tomato diced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices bacon
- Shredded parmesan cheese to taste
- Place the pasta in a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil; cook until soft and then strain.
- Put the tomatoes, basil, butter, and red pepper into a large skillet and cook on low-medium heat, stirring occasionally. The tomatoes should become soft. If anything happens to be sticking to the skillet, add an additional tablespoon of butter and/or olive oil.
- In a separate skillet, cook the bacon and then set aside. Once it's cooled off a bit, cut or tear bacon into bite-size pieces.
- Once the pasta has been strained, pour it into the skillet with the tomatoes and stir; add in the bacon bits.
- Top the entire skillet off with some parmesan cheese and enjoy!