This is the BEST vegan tortilla soup because it’s filled with veggies, made in one pot and ready in under 30 minutes! It’s loaded with flavor and just the right amount of spice, and the topping possibilities are endless.
Vegan tortilla soup is the ultimate summer AND winter soup. It’s warm and comforting, but also tastes like a taco, and we all know that tacos are a summertime food. Fingers crossed that logic makes sense!
I still remember the first time I tried tortilla soup. I was in high school and it was at Chile’s, and I was immediately obsessed. That version, not surprisingly, had chicken in it, so I thought it’d be fun to create a vegan, veggie-focused version. This soup is easy to prepare and is ready in under 30 minutes, aka MY kind of meal. As much as I love my Crockpot–which I do–sometimes I want soup right away, which is where my heavy duty dutch oven comes in handy.
WHY THIS VEGAN TORTILLA SOUP IS SO GOOD
- It’s made with vegetables like corn, black beans and tomatoes
- There’s an endless amount of topping possibilities
- It’s ready in under 30 minutes
- It’s loaded with flavor, and just the right amount of spiciness
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN TORTILLA SOUP
Start by cooking the onions, then adding the jalapeños, garlic, and spices and cook until the onion and pepper is soft.
Then, add the corn, beans, canned tomatoes, and broth and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the corn is cooked.
BEST TORTILLA SOUP TOPPINGS
The topping possibilities are endless, really, but here are a few of my favorite things to top this soup with:
- Vegan yogurt
- Vegan cheese
- Limes for a little bit of lime juice
- Crispy tortilla strips (see below)
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY TORTILLA STRIPS
Can you buy your own tortilla strips? Yes. Is making them at home super easy? YES.
First, use corn tortillas (if this soup is just for you+someone else, I’d say use 4 tortillas, but if it’s for more people, use 8).
Use a knife to slice tortillas into strips, then place them onto a baking sheet and spray them with a bit of olive-oil or avocado-oil based cooking spray. Bake the strips for 5-10 minutes, checking them after 5 minutes to make sure they look ok. The strips will crispy up more once they’re out of the oven and exposed to the air.
WHAT MAKES THIS RECIPE VEGAN?
It’s meatless, but nothing in particular makes it vegan instead of vegetarian. I guess you could say it’s both! The only thing is that if you’re planning on topping the soup with yogurt (my favorite substitute for sour cream), you should use Greek yogurt to keep this vegetarian, and vegan-friendly yogurt to keep it vegan.
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER SOUP RECIPES
- vegan tomato soup
- turkey sweet potato chili
- dairy free mushroom soup
- creamy cauliflower soup with tempeh
Vegan Tortilla Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion approx. 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers diced with seeds removed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 cups corn
- 1 can 14 oz. black beans, rinsed
- 1 can 14 oz. diced tomatoes, fire roasted
- 32 oz. vegetable broth
- Sea salt to taste
- 4-8 corn tortillas*
- vegan yogurt
- vegan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat, then add onions and cook for 4-5 minutes; then, add garlic, jalapeño, paprika, chipotle, and cumin and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add corn, beans, tomatoes, and vegetable broth and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, make the tortilla strips: Slice tortillas into thin strips, then place them on a baking sheet and spray them with nonstick spray. Bake for 5-10 minutes, being careful not to burn them.
- Assemble: scoop soup into bowls, then top with appropriate toppings, along with tortilla strips.