A delicious & healthier Chocolate Mint Cake that’s both decadent and dairy free. Topped with a simple 3-ingredient icing, this cake is completely ready to within one hour!
CHOCOLATE MINT CAKE
My oh my do I have a dessert recipe for YOU! Chocolate mint is such an underrated flavor combination, but it’s absolutely one of my favorites. Once I got my hands on some mint extract, I knew I wanted to make a cake. The result is this 1-layer chocolate mint cake that’s perfect for any occasion!
CHOCOLATE MINT CAKE RECIPE
This cake recipe takes the cake (ha!). I wanted a recipe made with better-for-you ingredients but still the correct texture, and this is just that! It’s made in ONE bowl and it’s only ONE layer, so icing it is super easy. If you want to take it up a notch, sprinkle chopped chocolate on top. I mean, is it ever a bad idea to add more chocolate?
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE MINT CAKE
While this cake isn’t crazy healthy, I did make some healthy substitutions. This recipe uses coconut oil instead of butter, half raw cane sugar and half maple syrup instead of all white sugar, almond milk instead of condensed milk/whole milk/any other kind of dairy milk (making this cake dairy free!), and applesauce instead of shortening.
TIP: This is kind of a no-brainer, but make sure when you do the toothpick test, make sure it comes out completely clean. The bake time is APPROXIMATELY 30 minutes, so don’t just assume it’s done after 30 minutes. Stick a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean, then it’s done.
TIP: I used peppermint in both the cake batter AND the icing, but feel free to use it in just one or the other. Also, do some taste testing yourself—the amount I used in the cake made the cake have a MILD mint flavor, with a stronger mint flavor in the icing. I’d start with 1/2 tsp in both and let your tastebuds figure out how minty you want the cake/icing to be. <—just a suggestion!
That’s all I got! Despite the bake time, I hope you make this chocolate mint cake—if you do, be sure to tag #thealmondeater on Instagram.
MORE CAKE RECIPESPrint
Chocolate Mint Cake
This chocolate mint cake is a simple 1-layer cake that’s perfect for any occasion!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 1 cake 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: cake
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar OR white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract*
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup+2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp peppermint extract*
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, oil, syrup, applesauce, vanilla, milk, and peppermint, making sure to melt coconut oil in a separate bowl before pouring it into the mix.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry, combining everything with an electric mixer.
- Grease a 10 inch cake pan with coconut oil and then pour cake batter into pan, using a spatula to smooth the batter out if needed.
- Place pan in oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes, sticking a toothpick in the center of the cake to make sure cake is baked all the way through.
- While the cake is baking, make the icing by combining powdered sugar, cocoa, milk, and peppermint, mixing well with an electric mixer.
- Place icing in the refrigerator, allowing it to thicken while the cake is baking.
- Once cake is done, remove from oven but keep in cake pan for 15 minutes, allowing time for it to cool off a bit before transferring to a cooling rack for it to cool completely.
- Once cake is completely cooled off, ice cake, top with chocolate shavings if you wish, and enjoy!
*Feel free to add more or less depending on preference
Keywords: chocolate mint cake