This Blackberry Sage Shrub is made with apple cider vinegar and sparkling water to create a fruity, lightly sweetened drink.
It’s 2018, and this year more than ever drinking vinegar is cool. So, we’re doing it! But we’re doing it my way, aka in “shrub” form.
Ever heard of a shrub? No, not the plant, I’m talking about the drink! A shrub is basically a vinegar-based drink that’s made with fresh fruit and sugar. Personally, I hate vinegar—like can’t even stand the smell—but these drinks are awesome because you only use a small amount of “vinegar syrup” for each drink.
Ya gotta trust me on this one!
I don’t know if you saw or not, but I did a full tutorial on how I styled these drinks on Instagram the other day. Did you catch it? If not, no worries—the full story is under the “highlights” section in my Instagram profile. If you watched it, what did you think? I know not everyone is into photography—heck, most of you are probably here for the food and the food alone—but I’m a very nosey person and I enjoy seeing people’s “process” if you will.
Anyway, drinks are always so fun to style and also to enjoy immediately afterward. I opted to not add alcohol to this drink for no other reason than the fact that I made these on a Monday and felt weird drinking on a Monday. But, the next time I make these I’m definitely adding some tequila. SO GOOD.
I also just noticed that I used stone fruit in Monday’s recipe, I’m using blackberries today and I’m using a combo of both in the next recipe I post. I’m just trying to squeeze in as many summer recipes as possible before it’s too late! But also… I’m a little excited for pumpkin. Only a little though. Right now, in this moment, I still want all the blackberries! Or, at least this blackberry sage shrub.Print
Blackberry Sage Shrub
This blackberry sage shrub is made with apple cider vinegar but tastes super fruity and refreshing!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 48 hours
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 8-10 cups
- Category: drinks
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: drink
- 4 cups blackberries
- 20 sage leaves
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar OR white wine vinegar
- Tonic water
- Optional: dash of lime juice
- Combine blackberries, sage, sugar, and vinegar in a bowl and muddle mixture for 4-5 minutes or until blackberries have broken down a bit.
- Cover bowl and place it in the refrigerator for 48 hours, muddling for 1 minute one time each day.
- After the 48 hours, run mixture through a mesh strainer, discarding the fruit but keeping the juice.
- For each drink: add 2-3 tbsp blackberry juice to your cup. Then, add ice and pour tonic water over top. Optional: add a fresh squeeze of lime juice. Also optional: add your favorite alcohol!
Keywords: shrub drink, blackberry shrub, sage shrub, vinegar drink