A crazy simple 3-ingredient Bananas Foster Affogato recipe that is creamy with a kick thanks to the espresso shot. Learn how to make it with a step-by-step video!
OHMYGOD my first video post. My heart is beating at a stupid fast pace as I type this because I’m nervous..?? It’s more like an excited kind of nervous, but nervous nonetheless. And hey, I’m only a month behind my original goal date for my first video—not too bad. The reason I’m a little behind is because I, like many people, am really good at putting off things that make me nervous/intimidate me. Yes, videos intimidate me. Or, used to intimidate me anyway.
GUYS. They’re not so bad! Granted, I had help from my brother on this one, but still. I’m not saying I’m going to start creating a recipe video for every single recipe, because that’s not something I ever want to do, but I AM saying that I think having the skill and know-how to do video is super important. …..says the girl who has done ONE VIDEO.
Oh and PS a Nashville recap is coming I promise. If I had to sum it up in three words, I’d say: So. Much. Fun. I also figured today was an appropriate day to post this recipe because I am SO TIRED. As in, my body is still catching up from the crazy weekend, plus Layla temporarily got sick two nights ago and kept Miguel and I up the entire night.
If that’s what having an infant is like, I am so not ready.
Ok so this recipe—let’s chat about it.
It’s banana ice cream drizzled with caramel sauce and then topped with espresso, because that’s what affogato is. I’m saying this because I had never heard of it until Laura of The First Mess posted a recipe for it. I saw it and was immediately inspired to create my own! Plus, I’m all about the banana ice cream these days. If you aren’t already aware, banana ice cream is simply frozen bananas that have been blended in a food processor. Blended frozen bananas = banana ice cream. Yeeeeeep, so this recipe is acceptable for breakfast or dessert (but preferably both).
If you already watched the video and thought ‘wow, those are some manly hands’, just know they are not mine, they are my brothers. And if instead of “manly” you thought “model-like” hands, my brother says thank you (I know, he’s so full of himself).
- 3 bananas frozen
- 2-4 tablespoon caramel sauce
- 1 cup espresso
- Peel bananas and cut them into bite-size pieces.
- Place them in a ziploc bag and in the freezer for at least 1 hour. Meanwhile, prepare the caramel sauce if you haven't already.
- Once the bananas have frozen, remove them from the freezer and into a food processor and pulse on high until bananas blend together and form a soft serve ice cream texture. This may take a few minutes and you may need to stop halfway through to scrape the sides down.
- Pour ice cream in a nonstick or wax paper-lined bread pan; place back in the freezer for a minimum of 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Once hardened, scoop ice cream into cups*, drizzle caramel sauce overtop and then pour freshly brewed espresso over ice cream.
Q: Have you made banana ice cream before? When was the first time you learned of affogato? ….because I learned about a month ago.