Introducing your family’s new favorite meal: Baked Parmesan Chicken! This irresistible chicken dinner is golden and cheesy on the outside and juicy and tender on the inside.
Golden and crispy Baked Parmesan Chicken is the ultimate family dinner. Juicy chicken breasts are coated in mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, and seasoned breadcrumbs before being baked to crunchy perfection. It’s a comforting and irresistible dinner you can have on the table in 30 minutes!
The parmesan cheese in the breadcrumb coating is the secret behind this addictive recipe. It adds cheesy, salty flavors to every bite and even enhances the satisfying crunch.
Turn to this easy parmesan chicken recipe whenever you need a flavor-packed and comforting meal. It’s the perfect protein to pair with your favorite side dishes and will even enhance a rich and creamy bowl of pasta. The whole family will love it!
- A foolproof weeknight dinner that’s ready to eat in 30 minutes!
- Baking parmesan-crusted chicken yields crispy, golden results, but with less oil than the fried version.
- Enjoy the chicken as a crunchy main protein for dinner or serve it with marinara and mozzarella, a la eggplant parmesan!
Chicken breasts - The chicken breasts are sliced in half to help them cook to juicy, tender perfection in the time it takes for the breadcrumb coating to brown. Feel free to use frozen chicken breasts if that’s all you have at home, but remember to thaw them fully before slicing and coating them in the breading.
Breadcrumbs - Use store-bought seasoned breadcrumbs or season plain breadcrumbs using the dry seasonings below. Regular breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs will work.
Dry seasonings - Garlic powder, onion powder, and dried parsley give the chicken’s breadcrumb coating irresistible Italian-inspired flavors.
Parmesan cheese - Shredded parmesan coats the chicken in addition to the breadcrumbs, giving every bite a salty, cheesy flavor that’s completely addictive.
Mayonnaise - A layer of mayo is brushed over the chicken breasts to lock in their moisture. Use your favorite store-bought mayo or go all out with my paleo and Whole30-compliant avocado oil mayonnaise.
Step 1: Bread the chicken. Add the mayonnaise to a small bowl, and the seasoned breadcrumbs and parmesan into a second shallow bowl. Brush both sides of each chicken breast with the mayo, then dip them into the breadcrumb-parmesan mixture.
Step 2: Bake. Place the breaded chicken breasts on a wire rack and bake until the chicken is cooked through and the breadcrumbs are golden.
Step 3: Serve. Plate the breaded parmesan chicken breasts with your favorite side dishes, and enjoy!
Tips and FAQs
- To butterfly chicken breasts: Use a sharp knife to carefully slice each chicken breast lengthwise. You should have 4 thin chicken breasts when you’re done.
- If the chicken breasts are too thick, lay a sheet of plastic wrap over each one and use a meat mallet to pound them to a thinner, even thickness. This will help them cook faster and avoid burning the breadcrumbs.
- For the crispiest baked chicken, bake the breasts on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. You can also spray the tops with a light coating of nonstick cooking spray (not too much or else the chicken will become soggy).
Can you air fry the chicken instead?
Sure! Place one or two breaded chicken breasts in the air fryer basket, making sure they aren’t touching each other. Air fry at 400ºF for about 7 minutes, then flip and continue cooking for another 3 to 4 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165ºF. Repeat with the rest of the chicken, then serve.
Is this recipe gluten free?
Not inherently, no. However, you can make it gluten free by coating the chicken with gluten free breadcrumbs. And while I haven’t tested this recipe with anything other than breadcrumbs, almond flour may also work well as a gluten free and keto-friendly substitute.
How do you serve parmesan chicken?
The crispy parmesan chicken can be served as a main protein for dinners with healthy or comforting side dishes, like Caesar salad, arugula salad, roasted broccoli, baby potatoes, potato wedges, or risotto.
Another great way to serve the chicken is to slice each breast and top them on a bowl of creamy pasta, like chicken alfredo or sun-dried tomato pesto pasta. Alternatively, swap the pasta for salad or a grain bowl. The crispy chicken adds a nice crunch and extra protein to an otherwise light dish.
Lastly, try the traditional route and finish the baked chicken with marinara sauce and melted mozzarella cheese, just like in classic chicken parmesan and eggplant parmesan recipes. Serve with salad or garlic bread on the side and enjoy!
Refrigerator: The baked chicken will lose some of its crispiness after sitting, but you can still keep the leftovers wrapped in a layer of foil and an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Reheat: To retain its crunch, place the leftover parmesan chicken in a baking dish covered with foil and warm in a 350ºF oven until heated through (about 10 to 15 minutes).
More irresistible chicken dinners to try
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Baked Parmesan Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts sliced in half to create 4 thin breasts
- ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs or 1 cup plain breadcrumbs + 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 ½ teaspoon parsley and ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper then place a wire rack on top and spray with nonstick spray; set aside.
- If you haven’t already, carefully slice both chicken breasts length-ways to create 4 thin chicken breasts.
- Add the mayo to a small bowl, and pour the breadcrumbs and parmesan into a shallow bowl.
- Brush each chicken breast with the mayo, then dip it into the breadcrumb mixture, using your hands to press the breadcrumbs into the chicken to make sure all sides are coated. Immediately place the chicken onto the wire rack. Repeat this process with all 4 pieces of chicken.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake the chicken for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Slice and enjoy!
What a delicious chicken recipe for my family. The instructions were very easy to follow along and my family just loved the chicken so much. Great recipe!