Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
These Black Rice Chicken Meatballs are made with minimal ingredients like ground chicken, garlic and parmesan and are tasty out of the oven AND as leftovers!
Whoa whoa whoa, this post has been a long time coming. Not surprisingly, when Miguel and I were in Italy, we ate a ton of pasta. Now don’t get me wrong, I love pasta, but after eating it for seven days straight, I was craving something… different. Something a little bit lighter. Normally I’m not sure I’d consider chicken meatballs to be “light”, but when you pair then with a salad, they sure to seem lighter than pasta.
We stumbled upon Ginger, a healthy, modern restaurant that came highly recommended by friends and people on Instagram. They served fresh juice and had an array of lighter eats. I have no idea what Miguel ordered, but I ordered the black rice chicken meatballs and it was love at first bite. I told myself then that I would recreate them for the blog, and now that it’s been 15 months since our honeymoon, here they are!
The best part about this recipe aside from the taste is that it makes a LOT of meatballs. You see, regardless of how many you’re making, meatballs in general are a tad time consuming. Not difficult, but it does take a minute or ten to roll the chicken into meatballs. So the way I see it, you might as well make a bunch of them so you can have leftovers and/or feed a bunch of people.
My other favorite part about meatballs in general is that they don’t require a ton of ingredients. These bad boys are made of ground chicken, black rice, garlic, onion, parmesan, breadcrumbs, and some salt and pepper. Baaaaasic ingredients for an anything-but-basic recipe.
I decided to serve these chicken meatballs with a side of avocado mayo, aka mayonnaise+a mashed avocado and it was perfect. Have ‘em with rice or a salad like I did and you’ve got yourself a super filling and flavorful meal. Enjoy!
- 2 lb. ground chicken
- 1/2 cup cooked black rice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook rice over stovetop according to the instructions on the package.
- Meanwhile, place the chicken in a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients to the bowl, using a large spoon to mix everything together.
- Once the rice is cooked, drain the water and add 1/2 cup of the cooked rice* to the bowl; stir to combine.
- Grease a large baking sheet and then, using your hands, roll the chicken into meatballs. Mine were about golf ball size, for reference.
- Once all the meatballs have been formed, place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes, flipping them half way through.
- Serve meatballs with a salad or with any extra rice you may have made and enjoy!
**Serving size depends on size of the meatballs. This recipe makes a lot of them though, so feel free to cut it in half if you don't need that many