These Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Muffins are so decadent and delicious, it’s hard to believe they’re made with gluten free ingredients. Ready in just 30 minutes, these tasty muffins are the perfect keto and gluten free breakfast, snack, or dessert!
Look no further for the best gluten free chocolate chip muffins. These Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Muffins are moist, fluffy, and bursting with gooey chocolatey goodness. They’re great for an on-the-go breakfast or snack, but are still sweet and satisfying enough to be a healthy dessert!
Just like my banana muffins and blueberry muffins, the secret to these chocolate chip muffins is almond flour. This gluten free flour gives baked goods a soft and fluffy crumb, a hearty and satisfying flavor, and isn’t nearly as fussy as other gluten free flours.
- A healthy way to enjoy chocolate for breakfast!
- Almond flour is inherently low carb and grain-free
- The recipe is naturally dairy free, keto, and easy to make paleo.
- Almond flour baked goods freeze really well. Bake up a large batch, freeze, and enjoy later on!
- Almond flour - Ultra-fine ground almond flour will yield the fluffiest muffins, while grittier almond “meal” yields a coarser crumble. You can use either, but almond flour has a more pleasant texture.
- Almond milk - For another layer of flavor, use vanilla almond milk. Be sure to use room temperature milk to avoid lumpy batter.
- Butter - Or use melted and cooled coconut oil instead.
- Vanilla - For flavor. You can also use a combination of almond extract and vanilla extract here for more flavor and nuttiness.
- Cane sugar - I made this recipe with cane sugar, however, you should be able to use granulated sugar or coconut sugar without any issue.
- Chocolate chips - You can use any kind of chocolate chip you prefer, whether they’re dark chocolate, milk chocolate, dairy free, sugar free, etc.
Step 1: Whisk wet ingredients. Whisk the eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla in a bowl until just combined.
Step 2: Stir dry ingredients. Stir the almond flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a separate bowl.
Step 3: Combine and add chocolate chips. Pour the dry mixture into the bowl with the wet mixture and beat with an electric mixer. Once you have a light and fluffy dough, fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula.
Step 4: Bake the muffins. Divide the batter between the prepared liners in a muffin tin, place a few more chocolate chips on the top, and bake.
Step 5: Serve and enjoy! Once a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, take them out of the oven and let them rest. Transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely, then serve and enjoy!
Tips and FAQs
- If your almond flour is refrigerated, you’ll need to bring it to room temperature before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients.
- Your eggs, butter, and milk also need to be at room temperature.
- Almond flour has a shelf-life between 3 and 6 months. Instead of wasting it, bake up more delicious treats like my almond flour pancakes, almond flour cupcakes, and almond flour chocolate cake!
What can I add to almond flour muffins?
The sky is the limit for delicious ingredients to add to the muffin mix. In addition to chocolate chips, you can gently fold in a ½ cup to a ⅓ cup of any of these mix-ins:
- Cacao nibs
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Chopped walnuts
- Caramel chips
- Dried fruit
- Fresh or frozen berries
- Chopped almonds
Can I make egg-free almond flour muffins?
Although I haven’t tested this recipe without eggs, you can try replacing the 2 whole eggs with flax eggs or chia seed eggs instead. (Let me know if you try this in the comments below!).
What can I substitute for almond flour in grain-free baking?
I don’t recommend making this recipe with any other kind of flour. Almond flour retains more moisture than most and isn’t always a 1:1 swap. If you use a different flour, you’ll need to adjust the amount.
- Dairy free - Instead of butter, use melted coconut oil and be sure to use dairy free chocolate chips.
- Keto - Replace the granulated sugar with your favorite keto sweetener (like erythritol, allulose, or monk fruit) and be sure to use sugar free chocolate chips.
- Paleo-friendly - For paleo muffins, replace the butter with melted coconut oil and the sugar with your favorite refined sugar free sweetener (date, coconut, or maple sugar). Use paleo chocolate or compliant chopped dark chocolate.
- Room temperature and refrigerator: You can keep your muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days or in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
- Freezer: Bake a dozen now and a dozen to freeze and enjoy later. You can wrap individual muffins in a layer of plastic wrap and then freeze them in a resealable bag for 4 to 5 months. Whenever you’re craving a healthy homemade muffin, grab one out of the freezer, thaw at room temperature, and enjoy!
More gluten free sweets
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoon butter melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups almond flour sifted
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners and spray each one with nonstick spray; set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir the almond flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet, then use an electric mixer to stir everything together. Last, stir in the chocolate chips by hand (the batter should be light and fluffy).
- Distribute the batter evenly amongst the muffin liners, then place a few more chocolate chips on top of each one. Place the pan in the oven and bake the muffins for 20 minutes. Remove them from the oven and leave them in the tin for 5 minutes before carefully removing them and placing them on a cooling rack. Wait for the muffins to cool a bit before eating. Enjoy!
Can I add Greek yogurt for protein
These muffins are seriously SOOOO moist and delicious!! I ate 4 within an hour....whoops!
Delicious gluten free muffins!
Thanks Aliza -- I'm happy you liked the muffins!
Karen P says
These turned out so delicious! I used apple sauce in place of the butter and they were excellent!!
Thanks Karen, I'm so happy you liked the muffins!