This delicious homemade version of beef barley soup and is hearty, flavorful and the perfect dinner for those laid back nights.
I tend to gravitate toward the same foods every time I’m at the grocery store (approx. every four days). Eggs, apples, grapes, bananas, peanut butter, almond butter, bread, almond milk, rice, a frozen pizza (sorry not sorry), and Larabars. As far as meats go, I typically buy chicken and chicken sausage and that’s about it. Occasionally I’ll buy bacon or ham, and very rarely do I go outside of that norm. But when Miguel is with me, he sometimes makes other suggestions. We were at the store two weeks ago when he suggested “beef”. I wasn’t sure what I was going to make with it, but I knew I’d think of something. Obviously I came up with soup, beef barely soup to be exact.
Soup is perfect for lunch or dinner on the days when you A) don’t know what to make or B) don’t feel like making anything. I made this soup over the weekend so we were able to eat it during the week when I was having one of those days. I don’t know about you, but those days happen quite frequently around here. I make fancy meals for the blog, but on a regular basis we eat pretty simple meals. It was nice getting to eat this soup, which is also simple, but felt kinda fancy because there was beef in it 😀 …does that even make any sense?
It was actually pretty awesome to switch up my usual meat selection. I’m thinking about adding beef to my semi-regular line up. Beef will never be chicken, but I think I’m going to start eating it more than twice a year. This soup would just not be the same without it.
We ate this soup with my Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich (minus the buffalo sauce). I don’t know if they go together, but I like to think soup and grilled cheese go together no matter what kind of soup it is. My recommendation for this soup (and any soup) is to prep it over the weekend and have it on hand for that night during the week when you reeeeally don’t feel like cooking. Heat this soup up and you’re good to go!
OH, and one last thing– Today is the LAST day to enter The Skinny Confidential giveaway. You can enter here.
- 2 cups cubed beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup carrots, chopped
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 2 cups barley
- 4 cups (32 oz.) low sodium beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and cook beef until no longer red.
- While beef is cooking, cook barley according to the instructions on the package.
- Next, chop up carrots, celery and garlic. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet and cook carrots and celery. Wait about 5 minutes and then add garlic. Wait another 5 minutes and then add onion powder and broth to pan.
- Once the beef has finished cooking, add it to the pan with the broth, stirring occasionally.
- Pour that mixture into a large bowl. Once barley is done cooking, add it to the bowl; mix everything together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Q: Do you eat beef? Do you prep meals for the week on Sunday’s?